Microcontroller chip

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to aurdino, so my question is this I am designing a small engine ecu and want to know if a atmel AT32UC3C0512C chip would work with a home built board?

I am designing a small engine ecu and want to know if a atmel AT32UC3C0512C chip would work

The AT32 chips are "AVR32", which is a 32-bit processor from the same people who created the 8bit AVR used on most arduinos. However the AT32 line is not supported by the Arduino development environment, and I doubt whether anyone here can say very much about it. I've never used one myself, nor even looked at a datasheet, but I've heard rumors that it's a chip that attempts to serve "higher level programming" at the expense of low-level performance. If that's true, it might not be a good choice for an ECU.

What would be a good chip to use?

Did you see this thread ?

https://cboard.cprogramming.com/c-programming/145514-small-engine-ecu-efi-moped-using-audrino-uno.html

Dsmith5282:
What would be a good chip to use?

That would really depend on the requirements of your ECU. You haven’t really said much about that.

Your right I have not said much about the ECU requirements. Like I said I'm new to the world of electronics but I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade. The ECU needs to be quick to respond as far as the different changes to fuel trim. I need pwm pins and a pretty accurate adc. I'm still defining the details of the whole system. I know there are ready made systems on the market now but I feel if I build one on my own then I'll have a better understanding of how it work so I can be able to fix them and better diagnose them for my job. This ECU system will be for small single and twin cylinder engines. I would like to control the fuel and igntion to certain degree with this ECU. I hope this helps and bit.

Still don't know much about your requirements. You need to put numbers to "quick to respond" and "pretty accurate ADC". Would you drive your truck load of steel beams onto a bridge that is designated for a "pretty heavy load"?

Quick to respond could be specified by loop time. How often (in seconds, milliseconds..) does the program read sensors, calculate, and output? ADC accuracy can be in bits of resolution (10, 12, 24..).

Yeah, get back to us when you can clearly define the requirements. You're not to the point in the design process where it is time to pick a chip. You've still got a bunch of paper planning to do.

I will thank you

Dsmith5282: Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to aurdino, so my question is this I am designing a small engine ecu and want to know if a atmel AT32UC3C0512C chip would work with a home built board?

Hi everyone I got the same chip as this... I am trying to create an arduino style board with it... my project is the same... an ECU... currently I use Speeduino (uses arduino mega) I have all of Speeduino circuits and want to add more injection and ignition drivers... I was attracted to this chip because of faster speeds... and more I/O... I can't really make sense of the data sheet though so I don't really know what the pinout is... I know it is 5Vdc compatible haha...

I am sure this is the chip i need unless I want to go order more performance and get its brother... but I figured this is a good start... any help?

Thanks, DQ