MIcrocontroller for led strip

Hi, guys, i am working on my christmas led lightning and i need some help.
While i was searching for ideas on internet i found this video:

Led Strip and Arduino for Christmas - YouTube.

So, i would be grateful if someone would tell me which microcontroller i need for my strips to do that.

Thank you very much.

That was done with an Arduino Uno; any '328p based arduino could do that. In fact, I think any official Arduino board could do that - though I'd recommend a '328p based one, or maybe a '32u4-based one like the micro.
You need WS2812 LED strip and an external power supply for the LEDs (That's way too much power to get from USB); you need supply capable of ~60mA per LED, since they're 20mA per color (100 LEDs = 6A power supply).

You can drive a couple hundred with an Uno, maybe 500 tops (each LED uses 3 bytes of ram for the frame buffer). The 1284p can drive more of them - but the refresh rate starts to get bad with really long strings

Thank you for your suggestion, but i want to control my ordinary led strips like that.

I know about WS2812 led strips. I just need microcontroller like ws2812.

You can’t control normal LED strips like that. The WS2812 LEDs EACH HAVE A CONTROLLER INSIDE. To make normal LED strip work like that you would need to put a SEPARATE CONTROLLER on EACH LED. This is obviously impractical (there is a chip that you can use to control a non-smart LED like a WS2812 - the WS2811 - but you’d need to put one on every single LED in the strip, which is just not going to happen :stuck_out_tongue: )

The non-individually-controlled LED strips have three wires, one for red, green, and blue, running the length of the strip, connecting each LED’s red to every other LED’s red, and so on.

In individually controlled LED strips, each LED has a controller inside it, and there’s one wire (two, for APA102 and similar) running through the strip - but it’s daisychained, not in parallel.

Thank you for your time.

If you want to control a huge amount of these LEDs and update speed is important you should check out the Teensy 3.0/3.1 or 3.2 Teensy 3.2 & 3.1: New Features used together with the OctoWS2811 LED library OctoWS2811 LED Library, Driving Hundreds to Thousands of WS2811 LEDs with Teensy 3.0. For ease of usage you should get the OctoWS2811 adapter that help connecting the LEDs in 8 individual lines PJRC Store.
This combination can control more then 1000 WS2811/WS2812 LEDs with update rates of more then 200Hz. You can even use a sync signal in between several of the Teensy boards to synchronize their output.