Microcontroller Recommendation

Hello I am new to microcontrollers and I would like a recommendation on which audrino microcontroller is right for what I want to do. I want to build a tabletop motion platform for a flight simulator. Here is a video of what I want to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdKo9PYwGaU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUz3Mmljnm2myiV6agr-4_Ew

The microcontroller has to be able to support 6 motors, the weight of my motion platform will be around 1.2kg. The arms will weight about 0.01kg each. The motors voltage supply//curent requirement has not been figured out yet. But from the looks of it, the microcontroller have to be able to supply quite a lot of voltage and current.

The microcontroller will only supply the control signals to the transistors that will switch the heftier voltage/current needed for the motors. An Uno using 12 of its 20 IO to drive 6 H-bridges could do that. If you anticipate needing more IO for user input, accelerometer readings, etc. than a Mega2560 and one my screw shields might be more appropriate. http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/ Or one of my 1284 boards with 16K SRAM (twice that of a Mega2560) and 32 IO lines.

Hmm, maybe I'll do a screw terminal version of the 1284 card too.

Do you have a picture of the back side of the 2560 screw shield? I'm curious how you pass through the ICSP header.

The microcontroller has to be able to support 6 motors

Do you mean motors or servos ??- that is a big difference for your design thoughts..

The ICSP header has traces from the source pins, vs an inverted female header.

I am new to microcontrollers

then you should probably buy an Uno, and learn to use it, and do some experiments with motor control and so on.

from the looks of it, the microcontroller have to be able to supply quite a lot of voltage and current.

Probably not. The microcontroller will usually talk to "motor controllers", and it is those that have to provide significant voltage and current. Most motor drivers are compatible with nearly any microcontroller on their "input" side. There are some arduino-like boards with built-in motor controllers, but I don't know of any with 6 channels. The details of the motor controller will depend on what type of motor you use. Stepper motors have one type, DC motors another, servo motors have essentially built-in controllers, etc. In any case, the cost of motors and motor drivers will probably dwarf the $30 price of the basic Uno, , so even if it turns out to be the wrong sort of microcontoller, you won't have wasted much.