Microcontroller won't communicate with Arduino Uno Board

Hello everyone!

Before everything, let me state that I am a complete beginner trying to use arduino.

I am using Arduino Uno with ATMEGA328p.

I have been trying to make a program that would have as an output some kind of a timer displayed on a Serial 7-Segment Display. At first, everything worked nice, I was getting accustomed with the IDE and the microcontroller programming, trying different programs, when I think I ruined the TX or the RX pin because they didn't seem to work properly anymore. So I ordered another ATMEGA328p microcontroller, but this one doesn't seem to be recognized by the Arduino Board. Even when I press the Reset Button nothing happens.

When I try to upload any kind of program, the following error appears:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I have tried anything, but I don't think this appears due to the fact that my computer isn't communicating with the board, but the microcontroller itself isn't communicating with the board.

Does anybody happen to know what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much!

The new Atmega328p you ordered does not come with the optiboot aurduino bootloader.You have to either buy a new Atmega328p with the bootloader or you have to burn the bootloader into the Atmega you just bought using An AVR ICSP programmer/Another Arduino as ISP. See instructions http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader?from=Main.Bootloader#.UwikDduJQX4 and Google

I will try that. Thank you very much for your answer and time :slight_smile:

Have a great day!