Microphone or 1/4 INCH Audio Jack

Hi, I believe this is a simple question but I cant find the answer to it haha.

I am developing an automatic guitar tuner and I am using a 1/4 inch jack, however I need to know why using a 1/4 jack is better than a microphone?

Thanks

Don

It depends what exactly you plan on tuning.

Electric guitars output signals via 1/4 jack so that's a natural interface to use with them. Acoustic guitars don't have a signal output just sound. So you need a microphone for them.

For electric guitars one advantage of taking the signal direct via jack is that you don't get confused with all the other noises floating around in a room which can be a problem if you're using a microphone. Plus the tuning exercise can be more or less silent since normal electrics make very little noise when the feed to the amp is bypassed.

Steve

Also, you'll need a preamp if you use a microphone. With a direct connection and high-value resistors for your bias circuit,* you might get enough signal out of your electric guitar without amplification.

• The Arduino can't directly-read the negative-half of the AC audio waveform so the input has to be biased.

slipstick:
Acoustic guitars don't have a signal output just sound. So you need a microphone for them.

Eh, you're still better off with a clip-on pickup on an acoustic so you DO get a signal output. They're only a couple bucks.

you're still better off with a clip-on pickup on an acoustic

Unless it has nylon strings.

And then it needs to be a piezo clipon. There are plenty of those...but the idea of clipping one of those blasted things onto my good acoustic just to tune it does not appeal.

And anyway there are just as many high quality clip-on tuners so making your own seems a bit on the masochistic side.

Steve