Microstepping vs full stepping with Easydriver

I found the logic table to turn off or turn down the automatic microstepping:

Table 1. Microstep Resolution Truth Table

| MS1 | MS2 | Resolution | | - | - | - | | L | L | Full step (2 phase) | | H | L | Half step | | L | H | Qtr step | | H | H | Eighth step |

My application is very slow speed, relatively high torque. I'd rather have precision than smoothness, so my inclination is to turn off the microstepping. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Tom

Microstepping should be superior, period. Its just more complex electronics. Properly designed microstepping should have smooth constant torque and thus less tendancy to mis-step.

But why listen to me if you can try all the options and experiment?

Microstepping will yield ~30% less torque than full or half-stepping but that oversimplifies matters. In reality there are a number of factors to consider that relate to the whole system, mechanical as well as electrical. These include resonance issues, the torque curve of the motor, gearing, etc. If you're interested in exploring some of this check out these links: http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/index.html http://www.geckodrive.com/ark-2/support.html. On my CNC router, for instance, I have the x & y axes set for quarter stepping and my z axis for half stepping. I have changed to eight stepping on occasion for certain applications like engraving where smooth motion is more important than torque. Having said all that, experimenting with the different modes as MarkT suggests is probably the most practical approach.

Did you figure it out finally? I am also working on a low-speed high torque stepper motor control.

Boyce, You are responding to a 5 year old post. But this is a simple answer. If you want Maximum torque go to full steps. or 1/2 steps. Micro stepping does reduce the available torque.

Microstepping reduces resonance, which is often what limits maximum useable torque, since pull-out happens first at the worst resonance.

weldsmith:
Boyce, You are responding to a 5 year old post. But this is a simple answer. If you want Maximum torque go to full steps. or 1/2 steps. Micro stepping does reduce the available torque.

Thank you so much!

MarkT: Microstepping reduces resonance, which is often what limits maximum useable torque, since pull-out happens first at the worst resonance.

Yes, I can feel the strong vibration of the motor when it on full-step. However, the torque seems not get higher. Do you know how to handle this? Thanks.