MIDI based project going haywire?

Hi! I need urgent help/advice with this, please. I'm recreating Gr4yhound's Ribbon Synth guitar.

Code is here

Project explanation here

I just successfully uploaded the code to my Arduino Micro and disconnected the micro USB (the board is still connected and communicating with my Mac through a hacked USB>MIDI converter cable). But as shown in this video, it seems to be sending almost constant MIDI notes, in conjunction with that yellow LED blinking like crazy. The potentiometer (softpot) doesn't change the note at all, but touching the piezo seems to do... Something. I really would love help with this as I feel I'm going crazy and running around in circles. Thank you!

I fear while he might know about guitars he knows nothing about drawing a circuit.
He says

I decided to break the schematic down into its components so it would be easy for people to recreate.

Which is rubbish, especially when he shows pots connected to digital pins.

So what we need is a schematic of what you have not that drivel he posted. And a photograph showing your wiring.

Also if you have a Micro then their is no need for all that solderin into a MIDI USB interface crap he talks about. Another danger sign that he is electronically an idiot. Or at best hasn’t a clue how to document a project.

Grumpy_Mike:
especially when he shows pots connected to digital pins.

The ATmega32U4 has 12 ADC channels. Pins 6 and 8 are A7 and A8 respectively.

But you are definitely right about the MIDI USB interface. You can just use the USB interface of the Arduino.

Pieter

PieterP:
The ATmega32U4 has 12 ADC channels. Pins 6 and 8 are A7 and A8 respectively.

But you are definitely right about the MIDI USB interface. You can just use the USB interface of the Arduino.

Pieter

Would using a regular USB involve changing the code at all? As in, how the MIDI notes are detected or read?

Would using a regular USB involve changing the code at all?

Yes, does that scare you?

As in, how the MIDI notes are detected or read?

Of course but the changes are trivial.

Take a look at the MIDIUSB library. Look at the examples, try to send notes, the basic stuff. If you don’t understand the MIDI protocol, there are countless resources online (for example), Mike even wrote an entire book on Arduino MIDI. Sending MIDI over USB is very similar to sending it over Serial, just check chapter 4 (pp. 16-17) of the MIDI USB specification.

The concept seems rather simple. Once you understand how the MIDI protocol works, and how to send MIDI, try to understand the original code, and adapt it to your needs. All you have to do is change the noteOn, noteOff and controllerChange functions: arduinoRibbonController/synth_v3.ino at 5dd04300de8217c049b5067249d2e1752f07e172 · deanm1278/arduinoRibbonController · GitHub