Midi commands getting picked up by audio cables

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project for my guitar rig. It is a pedal which lets me send midi commands through it to an effect box i have. This Midi foot box also has a digital potentiometer in it, which allows me to control the guitars volume before it goes into my effect box. I have an input and output jack on my guitar pedal but for some reason, whenever i send midi commands i can hear a click come out of the amp. This click happens when the Atmega328 receives the midi commands.

Does anybody have any ideas on how i can prevent this clicking? The audio does not go through the arduino, it only goes through the digital potentiometer (which is not active yet.) But the signal runs through the same box as the arduino. I think that is just picking it up, but i dont know how to prevent this...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will.

So It turns out that this is more of an rx tx issue. How could i stop audio cables from picking up tx tx waves? any ideas?

When you say the digital pot is not active yet I assume you are not wiring the signal through it but are not powering it, if so that would be bad.

Make sure your MIDI screenes are only connected to ground at one end not both. The same goes for the screen on your audio cables.

When i say the digi-pot is not active, i mean i have not written the code for it.

Grumpy_Mike: Make sure your MIDI screenes are only connected to ground at one end not both. The same goes for the screen on your audio cables.

Can you please clarify? I have both my midi and audio cables grounded.

When you ground the end of a screened cable you only do it at one end not both ends.

However your problem is with the mixing of the audio and digital grounds, and it is not helped by passing it through an uninitialise digital pot. How is this wired? Is it AC coupled? Have you done any DC restoration?