Midi control an RGB LED with an xbee

i have a project i want to build where i control an RGB led with midi wirelessly. Im still a beginner and looked up a few things on the Xbee xciever. a few pages i found said i only need 4 pins: pwr, gnd, rx, and tx. i did a quick design in Eagle with the Arduino shield library, but i sometimes get confused on which pins to use. im worried about how hard it will be to code for a novice like me as well. any advice would be appreciated.

but i sometimes get confused on which pins to use

How did you design your shield, then?

im worried about how hard it will be to code for a novice like me as well.

The XBees replace wires. The code does not change.

How did you design your shield, then?

too many pins and i over think it. like can i receive the midi data thru a standard digital pin, or do i use a specific one?

The XBees replace wires. The code does not change

oh? that's cool. im still studying what i can find on the code for it. what about baud rates for midi vs the xbee?

what about baud rates for midi vs the xbee?

MIDI speed is 31250 baud. The Xbee can not take that.

im still studying what i can find on the code for it

Some one has to write code you know, getting code is not a matter of randomly trying things you find unless you want to make something identical to some one else.

like can i receive the midi data thru a standard digital pin,

No MIDI is a serial protocol you need pins 0 & 1 to handle it. I think the rate is too fast for software serial. You will have to communicate with the Xbee with a software emulator.

A quick note on the schematic, I think D2, the parallel diode on the opto-isolator, is backwards. The LED in the opto-isolator cannot turn on with the parallel diode in this direction.

feralbeagle:
A quick note on the schematic, I think D2, the parallel diode on the opto-isolator, is backwards. The LED in the opto-isolator cannot turn on with the parallel diode in this direction.

Thanks

hey Grumpy Mike can you recommend me some projects to help me learn?

-thanks

feralbeagle:

Also the base on the output transistor of the opto isolator is connected to the +5V that means it is on all the time.
See:-

And