MIDI-controlled volume/signal amplitude unit

Hey everyone!

I'm a guitarist and I'm in need of a very specific effects unit, very simple and straightforward but for some reason I couldn't find anything that does this. So I figured I might have to build this myself using Arduino. By the way I don't think you need to be a guitar player to understand/answer this project!

Here are the details:

Inputs/Outputs

• 6.3mm mono jack input
  • 6.3mm mono jack output
  • 5-pin MIDI input
  • (Optional) 5-pin MIDI Thru

How it works/Process

• The MIDI input sends a CC value ranging from 0 to 127 on a specified MIDI channel
  • Audio signal comes in, and the CC value dictates how much of that signal comes out of the unit. So you'd no output sound when CC=0 and full volume output when CC=127. (And everything in between)
  • So I guess the Arduino part would take care of the whole processing part of things, reading CC values and adjusting the out signal's amplitude accordingly.

Would you happen to know if such a project sounds feasible, and if it is, at what cost? I have no clue whether a Uno would suffice to do the job, and if additional units are required for it to be able to take a MIDI in, control the amplitude of a signal and send it to a jack output.

If you have any questions please let me know, really hoping you guys can help me out!

Commercial products exist.
Is your goal to make a cheap clone?

Perhaps start by having a look at the projects on the diyaudio website (diyAudio).
For this type of project the Arduino is only part of the solution. The tricky part is the design of analog audio attenuation and buffering circuitry. There may be chips that do most of the work for you.

mikb55:
Commercial products exist.

Is your goal to make a cheap clone?

Would love it if you could direct me to the commercial product as I wasn’t able to find anything the likes of it.

I could still be interested in doing it myself for the thrill :slight_smile:

If you do a Google search for "midi controlled volume pedal", the first result is for Remote Volume Pedal, MIDI or Expression Pedal Control Over Instrument Volume

mikb55:
If you do a Google search for "midi controlled volume pedal", the first result is for Remote Volume Pedal, MIDI or Expression Pedal Control Over Instrument Volume

Thanks! I'd actually stumbled upon this one during my research but find it might be a bit overkill for the very simple use I'd make of it... and a bit expensive for that matter too!

mikb55:
Perhaps start by having a look at the projects on the diyaudio website (diyAudio).
For this type of project the Arduino is only part of the solution. The tricky part is the design of analog audio attenuation and buffering circuitry. There may be chips that do most of the work for you.

Will definitely look into that, cheers!!