MIDI Controller Help

So I'm building a MIDI controller with an arduino but feeling a bit stumped as this is my first arduino project.
In the original post I'm following for the build it seems like it's all set up and ready, but I was also told that this is a super old way to do things in step 8?

Then I was suggested to use this instead

with absolutely no explanation as to what I was in store for, I'm only guessing adding the library does nothing really for mapping the button and I now have to code them in from scratch. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

I'd like to be able to just plug my controller into my DAW and just map the buttons from there, is that not possible?

@Groke

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Have a look at the Control Surface library I maintain. Writing a program that sends MIDI messages when buttons are pressed is really easy, as demonstrated by the NoteButton example.

Whether you'll be able to use MIDI over USB or not depends on the type of Arduino board you're using, see the MIDI over USB page.

Pieter

Thank you so much @PieterP!

This is a big help in understanding what I'm working with. Better start reading! If I have any further questions I'll make sure to check back!

Hi there, so I’m attempting to change the firmware to Hiduino using the official link about DFU programming,
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2
I can navigate to the firmware no problem, but for some reason when I use the

“sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2 erase”

I get an error saying

No device present

This is sort of strange,because I can definitely write sketches to the board and have them work, Not sure where to go from here

Have you tried the DebugMIDI_Interface and Hairless MIDI<->Serial first? Flashing Hiduino should be the very last step in the development, because you can’t upload new sketches afterwards, unless you flash the Arduino firmware again.
An alternative is to use USBMidiKliK, which claims to support uploading of sketches as well as MIDI using the same firmware (I haven’t tried it myself).

You haven’t mentioned what board you’re using. You can only use that DFU programming guide with an official Arduino UNO or MEGA. Chinese clones with single-purpose USB-to-UART converters won’t work. Have you put the device into DFU mode as explained in the guide?

What would I need to compile MIDIKLiK? There doesn't seem to be a precompiled HEX-file in the github-repo? And it doesn't look like an Arduino-IDE project...

mni tnx,
L

Locutus74:
What would I need to compile MIDIKLiK?

Have a look at the Wiki and in the Issues section.

Locutus74:
There doesn't seem to be a precompiled HEX-file in the github-repo?

Isn't this what you're looking for? USBMidiKliK/USBMidiKliK_dual_uno.hex.build at master · TheKikGen/USBMidiKliK · GitHub

Like I said, I haven't tried it, so if you have further questions, you'll probably have to ask the maintainer.

PieterP:
Have a look at the Wiki and in the Issues section.Isn't this what you're looking for? USBMidiKliK/USBMidiKliK_dual_uno.hex.build at master · TheKikGen/USBMidiKliK · GitHub

Like I said, I haven't tried it, so if you have further questions, you'll probably have to ask the maintainer.

This is exactly what I have been looking for but (for what ever reason) haven't found. Many thanks for pointing me to it!
L

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.