MIDI DIN TO USB MIDI

Hi,

I recently bought one of these in the hopes of controlling a USB MIDI synth (teenage engineering OP1) with my MIDI (DIN) controller (an Elektron Octatrack): http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

Sadly it doesn't quite work as intended. Midi notes sent from the MIDI controller get stuck and are intermittent and not as sequenced, if I attempt to send midi clock or transport data my synth crashes in quite a spectacular way!

The MIDI DIN to USB converter uses the Microchip 24FJ64GB002 microcontroller and standard Arduino MIDI library and USB driver here: https://github.com/YuuichiAkagawa/USBH_MIDI

I contacted support at hobbytronics who said that the device is not configurable and that its not guaranteed to work with the 1000s of midi controllers out there (fair enough). But I'm quite keen to try and get this working as it would be the perfect accompaniment to my set-up. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I can make any changes to the code on the controller that will enable this to work?

I've been following the tutorial here: http://makezine.com/2010/11/30/usbhacking/ where the guy suggest that he 'used the examples included with the shield’s Arduino library to gather some info from my USB-MIDI keyboard and then plugged those values into one of the included demo sketches.'

I'm hoping to do the same with my synthesiser but not really sure where to start. Does anyone have any pointers? I'm reasonable adept at coding but new to Arduino - I've got the IDE installed, just unsure where to go next!?

Thanks

Martyn

I contacted support at hobbytronics who said that the device is not configurable and that its not guaranteed to work with the 1000s of midi controllers out there (fair enough).

No not fair enough, MIDI is a standard and if the device were any good it would work with all MIDI devices no matter how many their were.

What I’m trying to figure out is whether I can make any changes to the code on the controller that will enable this to work?

No doubt in theory you could, but your major problem with this is that this is an Arduino forum not a PIC forum.

I’m hoping to do the same with my synthesiser but not really sure where to start.

You start by throwing away your useless but expensive hobbytronics box and buying an Arduino and USB shield and following what Colin said.

ha, thanks Mike noted. Case closed I guess!

chuzzlewit: I contacted support at hobbytronics who said that the device is not configurable and that its not guaranteed to work with the 1000s of midi controllers out there (fair enough).

Come on, that's just BS. Like Mike said, MIDI is a standard that should be well supported by any device that has a MIDI port. Every device sends the exact same types of messages, according to the specification. All this device has got to do is pass on every message it receives. So either it works for all devices, or it does not. They mention on their product page that devices with a built-in hub are not supported, but if this were the case, it wouldn't work at all. You should ask your money back. Hobbytronics sold you a device that does not do what it advertises. You can then invest the money in an Arduino ;) .

Pieter