Midi Footwitch with USB connection

Hey folks! I'm aiming to build a foot-switch to use with Ableton Live. It'll be connected via USB, directly out of the Arduino.

If you're familiar with Ableton, you can map MIDI notes to particular functions, so I just want to plug in and hit a switch to activate something without using a MIDI translator on the PC.

I have the following components but am unsure about the best approach as my research has lead me down the rabbit hole.

• Arduino Nano
  • 2x Monetary foot-swicthes
  • 1590a Enclosure

You may want to take a look at my tutorial on creating an Arduino MIDI controller. It's exactly what you need.
The only problem is that an Arduino Nano has an FTDI USB-to-Serial converter, whereas most modern boards have a second ATmega microcontroller for this purpose. This means that the Nano does not support MIDI over USB, so it won't be "Plug 'n' Play": you'll need to run some extra software (a serial to MIDI bridge, like Hairless MIDI) to get it working. If you don't want that, you'll need to buy a different Arduino (one that's listed in my article), because as far as I know, you can't get any (MIDI) firmware on an FTDI chip.

Pieter