MIDI Out and debugging

Since both MIDI and USB debugging require serial, is there any way to do both?

Two ways. One is to use a board with multiple hardware serial ports. The other is to use software serial (NewSoftSerial) and two free digital pins.

What’s the maximum baud rate of NewSoftSerial?

I think it was the old software serial library I tried for MIDI and found it couldn’t run fast enough. MIDI must run at 31250bps and I can’t find info to confirm or deny whether NewSoftSerial would work.

NewSoftSerial's max rate is 57,600.

From the change log section:

digitalread/write scrapped in favor of direct port I/O. Revised routines now get perfect RX up to 57.6K on 16MHz processors and 31.25K on 8MHz processors.

Cooooool.

Cheers Paul.

Would I have to modify the MIDI library to pull it off?

Or maybe use another approach to USB... for debugging my MIDI out project I've been using a 16x2 LCD display (I2C) very successfully.

Or maybe use another approach to USB... for debugging my MIDI out project I've been using a 16x2 LCD display (I2C) very successfully.

I WOULD, but this is the same project as the DIY MIDI DJ Controller, which makes use of I2C already.

But isn't the beauty of I2c that you can use more than one device on the same bus? I use several other I2C devices from the same 2 pins. They each have a different address, e.g. I drive a couple DACs and the LCD off the same pins. It all works as it should. Or am I misunderstanding what you're doing?

Or if the I2C display used the same address as your other I2C devices, you could multiplex them.

Or you could just use a parallel LCD :)