Millis Timing Loop

Hi @Farticus

You should describe in normal words what this means

These words do not contain any filename of an "official" example-code so it is unclear which sketch you mean. Post this sketch where you

From looking at your code I assume:

your code shall wait until you send a character from serial monitor to your arduino
If character is received start "waiting" for 5 seconds
If 5 seconds are over print "Finished"

If "waiting" is over print "After Timing Loop"

I'm unsure if this is what you are trying to do.

Anyway you are another victim of this still to this day ignored very bad introduction to programming provided by the Arduino-Team:

These are really harsh words - I know. It is a very concious decision to write them. And I want to explain why:

  • 1.) A lot of of the basic introductional examples installed with the arduino-IDE use the function delay().

  • 2.) an easy to understand introduction to non-blocking programming is missing

The combination of these two things put newcomers

on the wrong track

It teaches the newcomers to think in a linear = non-looping way.

additionally this famous infamous blink without delay-example shows an

unnescessary complicated way

of how non-blocking timing can be coded.

In summary I call this

"the experts blindness for beginner-difficulties"

An easy to understand example starts with a very common everyday example analogon

and describes the principial function based on this analogon.

Here is my attempt to do it this way
and of course as me myself are to some extent an "expert" myself,
me myself suffer from experts blindness for beginner-difficulties too. This can be resolved through a lot of beginners questions that guide "the expert" what is still difficult to understand and to improve the explanations.

best regards Stefan