Mind control with arduino

[English]

On Christmas 2010, I saw Mindflex™ advertised on TV. Mindflex is a table top game that consists on a headset that reads your brainwave activity. The objective of the game is to move a light foam ball around an obstacle course. When you concentrate, the ball rises on a cushion of air, and when you relax the ball descends.

The objective is to navigate the ball through a mind-bending obstacle course as quickly as you can.
Once we played around with it for a while we couldn’t resist thinking ways to hack it. We came up with many ideas crazy involving electric shocks, moving radio controlled toy cars, shifting lights, screen based apps…
After a lot of thinking we decided to create an art piece that illustrated the power and potential of the device and how mind can control matter (with the help of some electronics, of course).

The project consists on inflating a balloon with the power of the mind. Concentrate and the balloon inflates, relax and it deflates. The balloon is inflated with smoke so that when it pops you can see it vanish in to the air, to represent your thoughts disappearing in the air.

Project by Joan Planas and John Revel.
Hope that you like it!

Mind blowing :)

Can you tell a bit about how to sample the "mind-waves"?

I just want to tell you, that the MindFlex is fake.

Here is a video about that(german)

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-1044310.html

The guys there explain, that the ball is moving randomly up and down. The rest is simple psychology. If you tell people they are able to control the ball with their brain, the might believe it. But as you can see in the video, the MindFlex is also working with a slightly wet towel.

I am not saying, that it is not possible to control things with your mind, cause it is possible. But not with the MindFlex.

Best Regards,

Chip

aaaaaghhh - slightly wet towels that can think ;)

Now i know a robot can think by simply putting a towel over its head is my question.... Why do I buy Arduino's?? 8) Best regards Jantje

The guys there explain, that the ball is moving randomly up and down. The rest is simple psychology. If you tell people they are able to control the ball with their brain, the might believe it. But as you can see in the video, the MindFlex is also working with a slightly wet towel.

Maybe that's true, I don't know. But what I know is that MindFlex HeadSet works perfectly. When you start to think a lot your LOW BETA brainwaves (13-17Hz) turns on. And when you get relaxed your LOW ALPHA brainwaves turns on.

Have you ever tried on of this headsets?

I think that you should need to close your mouth before it.

Or maybe you should believe that earth is gonna finish by the end of this year. ('cause a lot of videos online are saying this....)

The kids have one, I've used it. It is not random by any means. Supposedly it's performing a meta-level EEG, but even if it's just monitoring muscle activity near the eye, it's enough and it works. Devilishly hard to play the game mind you, but you indeed play it by concentrating.

I can't wait until that one makes it to the broken, parts lost, or bored of it bin.. I think my wife got it on sale for like fifty bucks for the kids about a year ago, but that's still too much to chop apart wantonly. Search the old forum, there was someone who already has done a nice write up...