Mini pro "does not start"

I have a mini pro board connected to my PC (Windows 10) with a USB TTL interface cable. Device manager shows the board, but says:

"A device which does not exist was specified." Any solutions? Thanks.

Peter

Move to Linux. Mint is very reliable.

(Don't think I am joking!)

Your problem is of course, Windoze 10. We would need to know what USB-serial ("TTL" is an incorrect description actually) interface you are using to know how to install the driver.

"I need help with my American car, it won't start". "Buy a Mercedes, it starts every time!" I've been using Linux for a long time along with OSX. Linux is great for many things, but not every thing. Joking about Windows will never change this.

You'll need to download the correct drivers from WCH. http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html

hansibull: Linux is great for many things, but not every thing. Joking about Windows will never change this.

No, if you are constrained to use Windoze for a turnkey program for work, then you need it. So I still use it (but of course, not Windoze 10).

Fact is however, Linux - Mint - immediately resolves the driver problems and is a much better programming environment.

im going to coin a new term. first there were bronies now we got BRONIXIES !!!

brony_billie_and_friends.jpg

telling people to swap to linux for a problem like this is like telling them to burn down their house so they dont have to wash the dishes. lol

Thanks. Not sure if I need these mini pro boards badly enough to install another OS on my machine. (I ordered them accidentally.) The nano is small enough! Win 10 is doing OK with the Uno and Nano. Thanks for the advice though.

Peter

john1993:
telling people to swap to linux for a problem like this is like telling them to burn down their house so they don’t have to wash the dishes. lol

Telling people to swap to Linux for a problem like this is much more like suggesting they buy a dishwasher. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

(Except it is free, including all upgrades.)

but but but dishwashers are EASY and PAIN FREE!!! and no cryptic runes or convoluted rituals.

brony.com-fan-fiction-post2.JPG

i hate windows too but consider it the lesser of two evils. actually i use ubuntu on desktop and debian on rpi but then again only because im forced to for various reasons and admittedly a sucker for punishment. ive accepted real mode msdos as my personal savior but dont try to talk everybody into it twice a day. definitely not for the average pc user either.

seriously though linux is far more flexible/powerful and there is that open source thing but lets face it, not for human consumption. theres a reason user base is single digit percentage (LOW single digit).

where is billp? he must be sleeping otherwise would have chimed in by now.

PABresler:
Thanks. Not sure if I need these mini pro boards badly enough to install another OS on my machine. (I ordered them accidentally.) The nano is small enough! Win 10 is doing OK with the Uno and Nano. Thanks for the advice though.

Peter

You don’t need a different computer or different OS. But you may need to be more specific on what you have going on to keep the conversations from going bonkers.
What sort of USB-to-serial adapter did you buy to work with the Pro Mini?
What sort of USB-to-serial adapter is built into the Nano you have and successfully use, FTDI or CH340G?

dmjlambert: you may need to be more specific on what you have going on to keep the conversations from going bonkers.

too late!

i apologize for hijacking but dmjlambert is right, it looks like you do not have the correct serial port for promini. more info on type of usb-serial adapter and if the com port shows in device manager. win10 should have drivers built-in but its necessary to check and choose the right port in arduino ide.