Minimal circuit to allow programming?

I'm trying to create a stand alone arduino based board and I started with this:-

http://www.oomlout.co.uk/component-bundle-for-arduino-compatible-arcb-p-227.html

The problem I have is trying to program it.

I have: An Arduino UNO An Olimex AVR-ISP500

I know there are issues with using the UNO, but I had more success with that method (I managed to get the error that the signature was wrong on the chip (which It will be if it's a 328pu and not a 328p )).

with the ISP500 though I could never get it to sync with the chip.

Can anyone guide me as to what is a bare minimum circuit to be able to program this chip with the ISP500 (I'd rather keep the UNO for experiments)?

I'm quite new to the hardware side of things, so the clearer / simpler the better :)

Thanks,

Anthony

If the hardware worked with the UNO, as long as your connections to the SPI bus and reset from the Olimex chip are correct, it should work.

Check if you need to power up the Olimex programmer, since I have no idea if it is powered from the USB.

Hi there, reading these two brief articles should give you the answer (and give you very useful working knowledge for the future!): 1) Standalone Arduino on Breadboard tutorial: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard 2) AVR-ISP500 guide: http://www.olimex.com/dev/pdf/AVR/AVR-ISP500.pdf

I've dismantled it again:) I'll have another go, both those pages are what I used to make my breadboard, there are ground and 5v pins, I thought that in powered the chip, not that the board should power it.

I'll try again and take some photos if you guys don't mind having a look?

Thanks,

• Anthony

I’ve attached a picture of how it’s set up.

if I do burn bootloader w/ AVR ISP I get:-

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

if I could pull the chip from the uno I could check if the blink sample works, but the chip puller I’ve got is completely blocked by the socket on the uno.

Any help would be really appreciated.

• Anthony

ok, I got the chip off and it's running blink already it seems, but on my BB it's not, and it won't program in my uno either same error:-

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

this when trying to upload blink to it, it's correctly set up it seems.

Chip just doesn't want to listen :/

what exactly does this mean: "I got the chip off and it's running blink already it seems, but on my BB it's not"

In my experience, despite doing some crazy things, it's not that easy to damage a chip, so something might be incorrect with your setup; check each of the connections very carefully to verify everything is as it should be.

if you have an extra Atmega chip (always good to have some; I recommend you to order some), then, instead of using AVRISP500, you can try using your Arduino Uno itself for ISP to program that extra chip... the (easy) steps to do this are on that same ArduinoToBreadboard tutorial on arduino.cc

You may laugh, but I hadn't connected the 2nd half of my breadboard power strip... LED didn't blink as it wasn't grounded!

Good job. And I would say 90% of the problems we (or at least I) encounter in beginner-intermediate electronics are a mistake in making the right connections, or making a good connection (if you're soldering, etc.). Just following the datasheet/tutorial-instructions/your-own-schematic correctly, then verifying the connections 3-4 times, or playing around with the various options, will give you the answer most of the time... or will burn something, but luckily, most electronics parts aren't that expensive these days.