Minimal connections with 433 NHz RX/TX

Which are the minimal connections required to interface a 433 MHz transmitter and a 433 MHz receiver to Arduino?
Is this picture right?
http://www.autoverbruik.nl/barry/aduino.jpg

It’s not my circuit, but it clearly explains how I think I should connect RX and TX.
To be sure, I’m using two separated Arduino, one for TX and one for RX; code I’m using is that one provided with VirtualWire library documentation, slightly modified to add led flashing.

TX:

#include <VirtualWire.h>
void setup()
{
    vw_setup(2000); // Bits per sec
    pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}
void loop()
{
    const char *msg = "this is a very very very long message i'm sending just for test rather than just saying hello";
    vw_send((uint8_t *)msg, strlen(msg));
    digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(13,LOW);
    delay(2000);
}

RX:

#include <VirtualWire.h>
void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(9600);
    Serial.println("setup");
    vw_setup(2000); // Bits per sec
    vw_rx_start();    // Start the receiver PLL running
    pinMode(13,HIGH);
}
void loop()
{
    uint8_t buf[VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN];
    uint8_t buflen = VW_MAX_MESSAGE_LEN;
    digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
    delay(600);
    digitalWrite(13,LOW);
    delay(100);
    if (vw_get_message(buf, &buflen)) // Non-blocking
    {
int i;
// Message with a good checksum received, dump HEX
Serial.print("Got: ");
for (i = 0; i < buflen; i++)
{
    Serial.print(buf[i], HEX);
    Serial.print(" ");
}
Serial.println("");
   }
}

Monitoring serial of RX board, I can’t just see anything more than “setup” text. Why? What do I miss?

I also tried connecting a capacitor among power and GND.

I also tried putting a LED among RX pin and GND: if I put it on analog RX, it stays on; if I put it on digital RX, it stays off.

To be sure about compatibility, I’m using same TX/RX module on both boards:
http://www.futuraelettronica.net/pdf_ita/8110-RTFSAW.pdf

Is this picture right?

No. +V and Gnd use the same color wire. That way leads to disaster.

There are no antennas connected to the transmitter and receiver in that picture. Without antennas, the range of the transmitter and receiver is less than the spacing between them in the picture.

The pins on the receiver labeled Gnd are not alternate locations for grounding the receiver. They need to ALL be connected to Gnd. Ditto for the pins labeled Vcc.

Finally, the transmitter and receiver are connected to the same Arduino. Given that configuration, you might as well just connect pins two and eleven on the Arduino directly, and save a lot of problems.

To be sure about compatibility, I'm using same TX/RX module on both boards:

The picture you linked to is for separate transmitters and receivers. The device you linked to is for a transceiver. Knowing how to wire one (incorrectly) won't necessarily help you wire the other.

Don't stick capacitors or LEDs in random locations unless you know what you are doing. In which case, the locations wouldn't be random and you'd know why the LED as always on or always off.

Virtual wire has some default pins identified for sending & receiving, you must use those pins, or use one of the virtual wire set commands to change them.

Paul,
They will work that far apart without a problem. I debugged mine with 2 prominis on seperate breadboards sitting along the top of my laptop keyboard with no problem.
Adding a 17cm antenna wire will certainly extend the range - I use a piece of 30 guage wirewrap wire as my antennas.

If you measure the GND & VCC pins for continuity on each device, I believe you will find they are all connected. For the receiver, I believe the documents even go so far as to say they are there to hold the board in mechanically. Doesn’t hurt to add the wires tho.

I only went one way with comms on mine. I don’t know how well having a receiver next to your own transmitter will work when you are trying to listen to a different receiver.
Maybe add some addressing & do some coding to ignore messages you send out that you receive back?
Someone else here was trying to transmit & receive back on the same arduino, maybe back in September/October timeframe, as far as I know he was not able to make that work.