Minimum System Requirement + Some Problems

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a minimum system requirement to run Arduino IDE?
I am actually having problem with a 600MHz machine (380MB RAM). I am running both arduino and processing IDE at the same time. processing and arduino are talking to each other (sending and receiving data). This program sometimes just stops working for reasons I dont understand and cant pin-point... The same code works on a 2.2GHz quad core (8GB RAM) with nothing to worry about. So I know for sure its not the code that is causing the problem.
On the older machine, when I open the task manager, I have noticed the processor shoots up to 100% when the code is running and the ram is at full capacity...
The problem happens randomly, but in all cases its when processing is sending something and waiting to get something back, which never arrives and the system just stops working.
Has anyone experienced this before? Solutions???

Thanks

Wow, I haven’t used a 600 MHz machine in ages, was 4 computers ago (replaced by a 2.2GH Dell, replaced by a Sony laptop, replaced by a 2nd Sony laptop).
First machine I put together from the motherboard up. Seemed fast at the time, with WinXP and Netscape …

Use a faster machine with more memory.

The memory you have is barely enough to run the operating system. Running java applications as well will really slow things down. You'll find the hard drive is going 19 to the dozen swapping memory in and out.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you even get it to boot :wink:

What are you running? Windows 3.1?

Hey...not so fast! I have a similar machine and it's doing a terrific job keeping my dingy from drifting away...

econjack:
Hey...not so fast! I have a similar machine and it's doing a terrific job keeping my dingy from drifting away...

... The only booting it ever does is when you trip over it ?

Thanks for the replys,

I am running WinXP on this old thing...
The thing is the arduino IDE and processing IDE boot up nicely and I have no problem programming the arduino...

The problem is this: the arduino is receiving data and immediately sends back some data. Processing is sending data and is waiting to receive data from Arduino. Sometimes the processing misses the received data and waits forever...
Is it possible that the arduino is doing things faster than the computer, considering all the things that the computer is running? Or is it that the serial port is kinda slower than the arduino? Doesn't the computer have some kind of serial buffer or something similar???

Thank you again

Can you slow down the baud rate, to 9600, and capture everything? Then slowly increase to a rate that fails, and back down a speed.
Or is it already going slow?
No idea what your computer has for serial buffering.

That the thing...

The whole point of this program is datalogging... I am running it at 57600 baud. That is the slowest I can have, otherwise my data will be corrupted when PC reads them. I tried this...

So, No I cant bring the baud down...

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Try a search for updated drivers for your hardware, maybe it's been updated over the years to something more efficient.