MiniQuadcopter Build Help

Hi guys I am new to arduino and electronics and I need help, specifically with a quadcopter I would like to build.

Is it possible to build one with a LilyPad? Could it take enough energy to power the 4 motors, a bluetooth serial adapter so I can use an Android to control it? What else do I need (breadboard-(What is a breadboard?) wires-(do they come with Arduino?))? Again I am very new to this building and coding if there are any resources you guys can link that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

CodexCoder: Hi guys I am new to arduino and electronics and I need help, specifically with a quadcopter I would like to build.

That is a very ambitious project - in fact, given your questions, I would have to say that it is likely beyond your current skill level.

CodexCoder: Is it possible to build one with a LilyPad?

Possible - perhaps. But it will take much more than just the LilyPad to control a quadcopter of any size (you also need an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) of some sort, so that the system can maintain stability...

CodexCoder: Could it take enough energy to power the 4 motors, a bluetooth serial adapter so I can use an Android to control it?

You'll also need a fairly small battery (a single cell LiPoly would likely be needed) - plus you need something to use as an ESC for the motors. For motors this small, you would likely end up using small brushed motors, so in theory you could get away with properly sized mosfets and use PWM to control the speed of the motors.

CodexCoder: What else do I need (breadboard-(What is a breadboard?) wires-(do they come with Arduino?))?

A breadboard is used for prototyping a circuit. It consists of a small plastic board (or multiples of these) with holes that you can stick components in; these holes are typically connected in a specific and somewhat standard manner (usually 5 per "column") - components can be inserted, and other wires ("breadboard wires" - aka "jumper wires") can complete the connections and the circuit. A google search will give you tons of information about what a breadboard is, how it works, and where you can buy them. Small breadboards are inexpensive. So are the jumper wires.

Breadboards don't come with a standard Arduino - they are usually purchased seperately (though you can find "Arduino Starter Kits" that will usually have an Arduino, a small breadboard, jumper wires, and some components included to allow you to experiment and learn.

CodexCoder: Again I am very new to this building and coding if there are any resources you guys can link that would be great.

Again - given your lack of understanding of these basics, as your questions have indicated, tells me that a quadcopter of any size is well beyond your capabilities at this moment. Instead - do yourself justice and get a real Arduino Uno (not a LilyPad, nor a clone or a knockoff - not right now - get the real one so you KNOW it works properly - this is a learning exercise). Get a kit of components and a breadboard with jumper wires, and start playing around with the code for the tutorials, and learning how to use a breadboard and wire it up, and how the code works, and how to change it to get it to do what you want it to do.

Then you'll have a handle on the basics. Alas, you still won't have enough knowledge to build a quadcopter - but by this point, you will know what you need to learn, and/or what questions to ask to be successful.