MiniUSB Adapter for Arduino UNO on a breadboard

Hi all, I hope this is in the correct place.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get my Arduino onto a breadboard so I can make a custom version of the UNO for my model rockets. But that's a different story.

I followed this standalone tutorial and purchased a new atmega from sparkfun preloaded with the UNO bootloader so I didn't have to deal with bootloading. Everything was going swell, until I tried to start programming and doing some serial connection with my computer. I bought this MiniUSB adapter for programming, and have it hooked up to what I think is correct (TX->RX, RX->TX, proper 5V and GND connections on atmega).

I keep getting errors when trying to upload any basic program to the breadboard UNO i have going. avrdude stk500 - it's not communicating at all. picture of setup

I couldn't get it to work AT ALL, so I ended up following this tutorial to program my breadboard uno. Everything works swell now, I've programmed it a few times. picture

But this isn't really the setup I want because I'd like to keep using my dev board in addition to the breadboard uno I have going.

First question, is the MiniUSB adapter I bought even compatible with what I want to do? I know in the tutorial they use a different FT232 breakout board to program, but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. If it is, how do I get it to work?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Your breadboard and USB adapter don't support auto-reset. Connect the Reset pin (ATmega pin 1) to ground until you see the "Binary sketch size" message during the upload process.

I'll give that another shot... I was using a pushbutton, but I couldn't get the timing down right.

Can someone recommend me a USB adapter for breadboard Arduino's that works reliably without having to be finnicky with the reset?

I've used the FTDI Basic for a year & a half without problem

DTR connects to one end of a 100nF cap on your board, the other end connecting to the reset line on the Atmega.

I bought some of these recently but have not tried one yet.

they should work similarly. Connect Rx, Tx, DTR, VCC, GND and GND to CTS.