Mintrontics Mintduino chip won't program

Hello, I have a Mintronics Mintduino breadboard Arduino that I put together today, and the chip doesn't program right. I made sure the chip was in the right direction to. I took the chip from my old Uno and put it on the breadboard and that works, and when I put the chip from the breadboard duino on the Uno and try and program it, it doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Does the Mintduino's micro have the Bootloader on it?
If you place the Mintduino's micro in the Uno, can it be programmed then?

you posted
"when I put the chip from the breadboard duino on the Uno and try and program it, it doesn't work."
I'm figuringing then that your micro doesn't have the bootloader

Well it isn’t micro, it is a full ATMEGA328P chip. They said they loaded the chip with the blink code, so I am assuming it has a bootloader installed on it.
<— haha 328 posts :smiley:

I just read the list of parts, and it does say it includes the chip with the Arduino bootloader on it.

If the Uno's micro works with your mintduino set-up, but the mintduino's micro doesn't work with the Uno then what else could it be?

Could you further define “works”: are you able to upload a sketch to the Uno’s micro (328P) when it is parked in the mintduino set-up?

I don't know, the serial to usb chip? My R1's serial chip is busted, I think, but I am using my R3 to program things... So how do you burn a bootloader to a chip without extra hardware?

That brings up another point, is there any reason why the Serial chip in my R1 doesn't work? I don't see any burns or anything, so I don't know what it is. The arduino still gets power via usb though.

To burn a bootloader you need a fully-functioning Arduino or another stand-alone ISP (like USBtinyISP or sim.) You configure the Arduino as an ISP [Arduino as ISP] then you use it as an interface to burn a bootloader to a 328 on another board.

So, your Uno is fully-functional?

Repeating my previous question --
Are you able to upload a sketch to the Uno's micro (328P) when it is parked in the mintduino set-up?

My Uno R3 is fully functional, and I can upload sketches to the 328P on the breadboard. Note I can’t use the 328P it came with, so I will try and burn the bootloader now. So I set the programmer to Arduino ISP, and hit burn bootloader?

No, you can't burn a bootloader to a 328 directly, that way.

You'd upload the ArduinoISP sketch to the Uno, it's an Example.
Then you'd rig up the bootloader-less 328 on another board and wire that to the Uno
Then, from Tools, you Burn Bootloader --> with Arduino as ISP.
I haven't done that with a Uno, or Optiboot, or any of that.
I've done it with my USBtinyISP (it doesn't use an Arduino in between) and that's as much as I'm "expert" at.

Do some Searching, especially over in our "Microcontrollers" forum here for more info.

Ok, so I have the 328P without the bootloader on the breadboard, and I have to put the chip back into the Uno. Which pins and stuff do I connect the breadboard arduino to on the Uno? I think I understand what you are saying.

Alright, I set up the Uno and breadboard just like on the arduino breadboard tutorial thing, and I hit Burn Bootloader. I also selected Arduino as ISP for the programmer.

It didn't work, so here is the output:

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I think you should start a new subject over in "Microcontrollers",
Re-cap your situation and what you've done so far.

:confused: Alright.

I hope that

Alright, I set up the Uno and breadboard just like on the arduino breadboard tutorial thing, and I hit Burn Bootloader. I also selected Arduino as ISP for the programmer.

implies that you uploaded the “ArduinoISP” sketch (File → Examples → ArduinoISP) to the Uno.
If you spell it out, it helps others help you with less to wonder about.

Alright, I 'moved' the post to Microcontrollers.

:slight_smile: Guys I had the same problem, easy fix- take two wires and plug them into rx and tx on arduino, then upload the sketch, or program the arduino chip and use it temporarily in your project. Remember be very careful putting it back into your arduino board.
-Clay