The following line was in my sketch:
#define EEPROMENCODERASLEEP 0 #defene EEPROMENCODERREVIEW 2 #define EEPROMENCODERWRITE 4 // ...a bunch of code eepromEncoderStatus = EEPROMENCODERREVIEW ;
The compiler flags the last code line above as an error. So, I checked to make sure I didn't misspell eepromEncoderStatus , which I didn't. I then checked to see if I had misspelled EEPROMENCODERREVIEW, which I hadn't. After scratching my head a few times, I realized I had misspelled "define" as "defene". Yes, I realize it's better to use const with such definitions, and this is a good reason why. I guess it's one of those old-dog-new-tricks issues. Anyway, the compiler seems to do a little misdirection on this type of error.