"missing 'bootloader.tool' configuration" error when trying to burn bootloader

I have a board compatible with SparkFun’s Pro Micro and am trying to burn the bootloader to it. I’m using an USBasp programmer, have the latest version of the IDE, and put SparkFun’s addon fies in the Arduino sketchbook location.

The Pro Micro shows up in the menu, and I have it and the USBasp selected.

I installed the USBasp driver from here (latest version): http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

When I try burning the bootloader, I get the error message:

Arduino: 1.6.3 (Windows 8.1), Board: “SparkFun Pro Micro 3.3V/8MHz”

Error while burning bootloader: missing ‘bootloader.tool’ configuration parameter

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
enabled in File > Preferences.

I have been trying to get this to work for a long time to no avail. Any help would be very much appreciated!

bump

I also tried using the older version of the IDE, thinking that might work, but the SparkFun addon boards didn't show up in the menu.

Looks like the SparkFun folks put the "bootloader.tool=avrdude" line in for the 16 MHz Pro Micro but not for the 8 MHz Pro Micro. You should be able to edit the boards.txt file to fix the problem.

Thank you! That fixed the problem, although now there seems to be another issue. I've decided to give up on the USBasp and just bought an Atmel ICE programmer/debugger, so hopefully that will work without any issues..

Thanks again.