Missing ports

Im my arduino software i have it all set up for my first scipt i go to select my port and i look and the only one there is com 3 so i choose it and i get a error so i look at everything drivers and all and i have the right bored selected why is it missing ports.

Operating system?

and i get a error

What error?

why is it missing ports.

Why do you assume that "it" is missing ports?

With no Arduino plugged in, can you select the Tools + Serial port menu? If so, what is in the list?

With the Arduino plugged in, can you select the Tools + Serial port menu? If so, what is in the list? What is selected in the list?

If you can not select the Tools + Serial port option when the Arduino is not plugged in, it is because the list is empty. If there is only one item in the list when the Arduino IS plugged in, that is the port that the Arduino created, and is the only one that can be selected. In other words, there are no missing ports.

windows the error say arduino is not in com 3 and the only thing to select it com 3

Windows 95?

I understand your level of frustration, and that english just might not be your native language.

However, I asked 8 questions, and Coding Badly asked one.

You replied with partial answers to 3 of them.

If you are going to get help, you need to answer all the questions you are asked, no matter how stupid the question seems, and you need to answer them completely.

Err on the side of providing too much information, not too little.

Nono. Prolly Windows98 SE - the best OS ever! :D

The current 'Getting Started' guide seems pretty foolproof to me. I wonder if we're getting more illiterate users these days. The PISA results seem to point into that direction.

windows the error say arduino is not in com 3 and the only thing to select it com 3

With the arduino connected to your computer, in the arduino IDE, you go to tools > serial port, and your com ports will be listed. Com 3 is often used by internal modems. If no other com ports are listed, then you may need to download and install FTDI drivers.