MKR 1010 - USB or COM port

Hi all,

I just bought the Arduino MKR 1010 and when I plug even to Mac or Windows the COM port does not appear.

I am using the mini USB plug and cable. Should it work as COM port or USB device?

I already installed the required packages to use the MKR 1010 from Board Manager.

Thank you!

mondragonsi:
Hi all,

I just bought the Arduino MKR 1010 and when I plug even to Mac or Windows the COM port does not appear.

I am using the mini USB plug and cable. Should it work as COM port or USB device?

I already installed the required packages to use the MKR 1010 from Board Manager.

Thank you!

Try different USB cables, different USB ports, and try a USB 2.0 hub. All of the MKR boards appear as COM ports.

Did you install the drivers necessary on these platforms? Only Linux is advanced enough to know how to talk to this device by default.

Hi guys thank you for your help. Updating the issue:

I have already tried:

• Ensure the usb cable transfers data = ok
  • Install all required drivers Windows pc / mac pc = ok
  • Test on Linux - Almost worked but got stuck on a issue (Arduino IDE board manager not able to download MKR1010 packages)

I will test today:

• Continue on the Linux machine (solve the download issue above)
  • Try using a USB 2.0 hub (thanks GDSPORTS)

Thank you guys!

Hi guys.

Last update.

The MKR 1000 has a ON led that remains on when the ubs is attached.

The board that I bought is the MKR 1010 so I believe it works as the MKR1000.

My board's led blinks 3 times and then turns off...

I think I have received a board with defect... I will make some tests to ensure that and keet you posted.

I just received a MRK WiFi 1010 and appear to be having the same issue - installed all of the drivers; used known good USB cables; but it does not power up via the USB port.

If I piggy back it on the MKR Vidor 4000, for instance, the board does appear to power up but the USB port still does not enumerate on the 1010.

Regards,
John W.

I also have the exact same problem with the MKR WiFi 1010 boards.
Is it really defected board?

Try to connect through an externally powered USB hub. Maybe the MKR1010 needs more than 500mA while using the WiFi network and your USB port isn't providing enough power for that.

try a double reset to activate the bootloader and upload some simple sketch while the led is blinking 8 seconds

I came here to see if I could fix a similar problem with my MKR1010, I want to share with you guys the actions that solved my problem.

First:

I went to Control Panel/ Device manager/ Ports(COM&LPT), right click on the arduino MKR1010 and select "uninstall"

Then on the IDE Arduino I also uninstalled the drivers:

Tools/ Board: Arduino MKR wifi 1010/boards manager/ Arduino SAMD Boards(32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+)/ Remove

Once removed, I installed the "Ardunio SAMD Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-MC+) again

After that it worked

I hope this work for you

Thank you pocnho_Carrillo. I will try that method since I am unable to detect my MKR1010 board even after I put it in boot-loader mode with double tapping the reset button on board.

@Pylon MKR1010 uses maximum 190 mA current for WiFi functionality according to the datasheet.
Just giving this information because I was struggling to get it working on batteries but WiFi functionality it didn't work until I provided current of 190 mA.

Hope this is useful.

What type USB jack does the MKR WiFi 1010 have installed? What type USB cable assembly should be used?