MKR Connector Carrier Board + MKR WIFI 1010 problems

I purchased the MKR Connector Carrier Board + MKR WIFI 1010 directly from the Arduino Store.

I mounted the 1010 on the Carrier.

I connected a 12.6VDC lead acid battery to the VIN and GND screwdowns on the Carrier.

Then measuring with a Fluke Voltmeter from the Carrier 5V screwdown to GND oddly indicated >11.xVDC. From the 3.3V to GND >6.xVDC. I then measured V at one of the analog Grove connectors and the carrier and it measured >12V!

Note i was reading Carrier component side labelling since there are notices some boards are marked incorrectly on solder side (true in my case … reversed). Based on the technical literature on the Carrier buck converter the measurements should have been 5V and 3.3V.

So then i decided to connected a usb cable (data and power capable) to the WIFI 1010 while the PC side remained disconnected. Smoke suddenly started to rise from the usb port area.

I’m an experienced arduino user. This is flat-out bizzare. I have no trust of either board at this point and suspect they’re defectvie and liklely damaged after smoke event./

Ideas anyone?

I would first check if the MKR is inserted right in the headers of the carrier

Thank you for reply. Yes inserted correctly in header as confirmed by photo attachment.

I don't see the pins on the photo. It can happen that the board is inserted shifted by a pin position

understood. no shifting, pins inserted correctly. in any case the Carrier buck converter should convert to 5 and 3.3v independent of 1010 insertion.

gtr987:
understood. no shifting, pins inserted correctly. in any case the Carrier buck converter should convert to 5 and 3.3v independent of 1010 insertion.

next I would remove the MKR a test the carrier power without it

same situation with or without wifi 1010 seated in headers

gtr987:
same situation with or without wifi 1010 seated in headers

will you return it?
and the MKR survived?