MKR GSM 1400

I have connected the MKR GSM 1400 board to my laptop and could not upload a sketch because it would not let me select a port, the option was not available. UNO and Nano boards work fine.

Make sure the USB cable is completely plugged into both the Arduino board and the PC.

You may have a damaged/defective or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

The charge only cables only have the power lines connected; no data lines. So you'll see the LED on the board goes on, but you get no port.

Thank you.

I am also getting a flashing orange led next to the 5V pin.

The flashing orange is nothing to be concerned about and is related to the charging circuit/software.

kevinmalcolm:
I am also getting a flashing orange led next to the 5V pin.

That's fine. The "L" LED is an LED you can turn on and off in your sketch. When you get a new board, the LED will be blinking. If you upload a sketch that doesn't blink the LED, then it won't blink anymore. You can make it blink by following this tutorial:

Thank you for your reply.

I still cant choose a port to upload a sketch. I will purchase another usb cable and try that.

With the MKR GSM 1400 connected to your computer with a USB cable, if you press and release the reset button twice quickly does the "L" LED start pulsing?

Do you now see the MKR GSL 1400's port listed in the port menu?

It pulses but the does not show up any ports. I have ordered a new usb cable, arrives Saturday.

OK, well the pulse shows that the bootloader is present and working. I think you made a good move getting a different USB cable because that is a very common cause of these symptoms.

I'm hoping that will solve your problem. If not, we'll do our best to help you find a solution.

If using Windows OS then check in Device Manager under Ports. You should see it listed there with a COM port assigned, indicating the device has a driver installed and is recognized by the OS. In some instances I've experienced the device showing up in the DM but not being listed as the device in the IDE. i.e the device listing in DM says something like Arduino MKR GSM 1400 (COM4) but the IDE will only list the COM port as say COM4 instead of COM4 (Arduino MKR GSM 1400). What is your circumstance? It must be listed in the DM with the manufacturer's device name and have a COM port assigned to function at all. If this is not the case then your driver is not installed. In the second instance the board is usually hung in an undefined state. I left my board unpowered for a lengthy period and it returned to operation on power-up. I still have no explanation for how this cleared itself. Only that it did.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
I have just plugged in the new USB and it works and I have downloaded the basic blink program and it's fine.
I am now going to try the arduino gps project which enables live gps tracking using a mobile phone and a sim card.

I want to set up the MKR GSM 1400 to find a location with Google Maps. I have found a relevant project on the hub including the sketch. Has anybody used this successfully and should I use just a pay as you go SIM card.