This is my first time ever using Arduino so I apologize in advance if this one is a no-brainer. I have a MKR1000 (WINC 1501 model B) which I'm trying to connect to my Wifi network and am having issues. When I run the CheckWifi101FirmwareVersion example it always returns with the following result:
WiFi101 firmware check.
WiFi101 shield: DETECTED
Firmware version installed: 19.5.2
Latest firmware version available : 19.5.4
Check result: NOT PASSED
- The firmware version on the shield do not match the
version required by the library, you may experience
issues or failures.
The highest firmware version I can install within the Firmware Updater is 19.5.2 so I'm not able to update to 19.5.4 easily. Is there another way I can install firmware 19.5.4 that a beginner can understand? Also is this firmware incompatibility the reason I currently cannot run a sketch that connects to my Udibots account?
Please advise and thank you in advance!
I was able to update to wifi101 19.5.4 by downloading the Arduino hourly IDE build. Now that I am using 19.5.4 I was able to successfully upload the WiFi101 example sketch to connect to WEP.
However, now I am having the issue that my MKR1000 is not connecting to my SSID. Just keeps trying to connect every 10 seconds.
Please take a few moments to Learn and Use The Forum
How to get the best out of this forum Installation & Troubleshooting
Hello, Welcome to the Arduino Forum. This guide explains how to get the best out of this forum. Please read and follow the instructions below. Being new here you might think this is having rules for the sake of rules, but that is not the case. If you don’t follow the guidelines all that happens is there is a long exchange of posts while we try to get you to tell us what we need in order to help you, which is frustrating for you and frustrating for us. The people who try to help with your pro…
It will help you get the very best out of the forum in the future.
- Your OS and version can be valuable information, please include it along with extra security you are using. Antivirus etc.
- Always list the version of the IDE you are using and the board version if applicable.
- Use quote or add error messages as an attachment NOT a picture.
- How to insert an image into your post. ( Thanks sterretje )
- Add your sketch where applicable but please use CODE TAGS
- Add a SCHEMATIC were needed even if it is hand drawn
- Add working links to any specific hardware as needed (NOT links to similar items)
- Remember that the people trying to help cannot see your problem so give as much information as you can
- Ensure you have FULLY inserted the USB cables.
- Check you have a COMMON GROUND where required. ( Thanks Perry)
- Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.
- Try other computers where possible.
- Try other USB leads where possible.
- You may not have the correct driver installed. CH340/341 or CP2102 or FT232 VCP Drivers - FTDI
- There may be a problem with the board check or remove your wiring first.
- Remove any items connected to pins 0 and 1.
- Close any other serial programs before opening the IDE.
- Ensure you turn off any additional security / antivirus just to test.
- There may be a problem with the PC try RESTARTING it.
- You may be selecting the wrong COM port.
- Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.
- Clear your browsers CACHE.
- Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.
- Preferably install IDE’s as ADMINISTRATOR or your OS equivalent
ARDUINO SPECIFIC BOARDS
- CH340/341 based clones do not report useful information to the “get board info” button.
- NANO (Old Types) some require you to use the OLD BOOTLOADER option.
- NANO (ALL Types) See the specific sections lower in the forum.
- NANO (NEW Types) Install your board CORE’s.
- Unless using EXTERNAL PROGRAMMERS please leave the IDE selection at default “AVRISP mkII”.
- Boards using a MICRO usb connector need a cable that is both DATA and CHARGE. Many are CHARGE ONLY.
CREATE editor install locations.
- On macOs ~/Applications/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/ArduinoCreateAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/config.ini
- On Linux ~/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/config.ini
- On Windows C:\Users[your user]\AppData\Roaming\ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1
Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.
Language problem ?
Try a language closer to your native language:
Thanks to all those who helped and added to this list.
Nobody can see the sketch you are using (not even the wonkey crystal ball).
Anything right now would just be a guess.
No need to use hourly IDE, just update the wifi101 update tool to latest version as it includes 19.5.4.
I'm trying to install the tool to include the updated firmware on a mac, any advice on how to do this?
Load the sketch from the wifi101 examples into the board called "FirmwareUpdater"
The board may (not always) now appear on a new com port that will be OK.
Select the WiFi101 Firmware Updater option and in there select the correct COM port and then TEST CONNECTION.
It should now work and you can update the firmware from there
It was mentioned that the latest firmware can only be uploaded with IDE 1.8.2 and that not all boards can accept the very latest depending on board revisions.
I use a WiFi Shield model B and an update to 19.5.2 was possible.
But I can not select the firmware 19.5.4 from the dropdown box in the WiFi Fireware/Certificates Updater.
In the a tools folder .... 19.5.4 is only one file: m2m_aio_3a0.bin available.
(WiFi101-FirmwareUpdater-Plugin/firmwares at master · arduino/WiFi101-FirmwareUpdater-Plugin · GitHub)
Is an Update to 19.5.4 possible or available?
This is the " MKR" section NOT the wifi shield !
Yours is a completely different issue.
Please read the forum, descriptions a little more before trying to hijack a thread that means nothing to you.
Yes, I use a MKR1000 with an onboard WiFi shield (as described above).
The MKR1000 can be equipped with an model A or B. The Firmware is different.
Ballscrewbob your hijack my questions.
Where can a find the FW 19.5.4? Is an Update to 19.5.4 possible or available?
Maybe be more specific as "WiFi" shields come in a large variety and you did not mention it was an MKR version.
However if I remember correctly the firmware update was not applicable to the shield version.
You would have to check that by doing a search in this section to be sure.