MKR1000 VCC Max current

Hi guys,

can anyone tell me how much current i can draw from the vcc ouput of the MKR1000? Is it possible to power 9x 20ma = 180ma LEDs at once?

Thanks in advance!

Read the SPECS

ANSWER: NO

7 mA/ per pin.

You have to use external power supply and transistors.

I think 7ma is the max current of a digital pin. I mean if I connect them directly to the onboard voltage regulator the VCC pin and control them with transistors. I think there sholud be more than 7ma.

The spec for the onboard 3.3V Vcc regulator output is not listed. I can't answer your question but I can tell you that you should not be asking that question. That board is designed to be powered by a 3.7 V Lipo battery. That is the power source you should be using for any and all external I/O devices, not Vcc. That's just common sense.

Hmm but should it not be possible to run the MKR1000 without a LiPo? And where else should i hook in to grab the power? Can you give some idea?

The specs say:

"VCC
This pin outputs 3.3V through the on-board voltage regulator. This voltage is the same regardless the power source used (USB, Vin and Battery)."

What is your power source ?
If you can find the schematic for this you can look uo the regulatir max current load. It can peobably handle 180 mA.

My primary power source is the USB input, later i want optionally add a LiPo. Therefore i also need a voltage regulator because USB is 5V and the LiPo 3.7V. And because there is already one onboard i was hoping to use that one, then I would not have to add an additional, external one.

I don't think you have read any documentaion about this board. I am almost sure it comes with a lipo charger built in.

Of course I have read the documentation very carefully! And I never asked if it has a lipo charger built in, because this is one of the main features of the board. I just want to know the maximum current of the VCC output, which is nowhere mentioned in the documentation. cherioiooiooooio

"My primary power source is the USB input, later i want optionally add a LiPo. Therefore i also need a voltage regulator because USB is 5V and the LiPo 3.7V. And because there is already one onboard i was hoping to use that one, then I would not have to add an additional, external one." --> I think this post was misleading I was writing it after getting up and so my writing was not so good :smiley:

Of course I have read the documentation very carefully! And I never asked if it has a lipo charger built in, because this is one of the main features of the board. I just want to know the maximum current of the VCC output, which is nowhere mentioned in the documentation. cherioiooiooooio

Really ?
And you didn’t see this

which shows the regulator as being this

What does it say at the top of the page on the right ?

Apparently your idea of “reading” and my idea of “reading” are not the same. The purpose of reading is to absorb the content.

When you go to THIS page and scroll down, you see this:
MKR1000 PRODUCT SCREENSHOT.png

Are you telling me you don’t know what the word "Schematic " means on the brown rectangle on the right ?

this is a good point! Dont have much experience in reading circuit diagrams I am a little Newbie chicken!

newbie.jpg

So what I can read there is the maximum output is 600mA, but USB is limited to 500mA so it is 500mA. when I subtract the power consumption of the Arduino itself I should have the right amount? correct?

So what I can read there is the maximum output is 600mA, but USB is limited to 500mA so it is 500mA. when I subtract the power consumption of the Arduino itself I should have the right amount? correct?

Remember the part about the lipo battery ? It's 600 mA running off the battery.