MLX90615 for LiPo temperature monitoring

Hello,
Can the MLX90615 IR temperature sensor be used to monitor a LiPo pack temperature?
If so, what is the suggested mounting (obviously facing the battery, but how far, how to avoid possible interferences from the surrounding environment).
Thank you

sensor datasheet

According to the datasheet it's a wide angle device with a significant sensitivity all the way out to 60 deg either side of the centre line. Draw a right angled triangle on a piece of paper to get an idea of what this looks like in practice.

Realistically you only have two options, either keep it close to the battery pack, or surround it with a reflective cone so that all it can see is the battery pack. The third difficult option is to use IR lenses to narrow the field of view.

A traditional contact sensor such as the DS18B20 is probably easier to use and will be more accurate.

Ideally I’d keep it at 1-3cm distance from the battery pack.

I chose this sensor because I need an I2C interface and thermistors produce too much RF noise (I tried twisting cables and aluminium foil shielding).
Why do you think a contact sensor is more accurate?

SeaWalker:
Ideally I’d keep it at 1-3cm distance from the battery pack.

I chose this sensor because I need an I2C interface and thermistors produce too much RF noise (I tried twisting cables and aluminium foil shielding).
Why do you think a contact sensor is more accurate?

For the IR sensor to be accurate you need to use emissivity compensation, and to do that you you need to measure the actual temperature using a contact sensor. If you have a contact sensor, why not use that all the time?

Batteries change their temperature slowly, therefore if you have a noisy thermistor just use a low pass RC filter on the analogue input and use a rolling average filter in your code to get rid of the measurement spikes.