MMA7361 3 axis accelerometer and arduino UNO

Hi, I would like to know how to connect MMA7361 3 axis accelerometer, because in sparkfun’s web page

says that works with a 3.3v voltage, The arduino UNO have a 3.3v that can be used, but what about the rest of the output pins (the X,Y,Z out I suppose that can be connected directly to the analog input pins but I expect that I will receive bad readings because the UNO is 5V) and input pins (I suppose If I connect digital pins of the UNO directly to the other MMA7361 pines I would broke the accelerometer because of the voltage)… someone can help me on how to connect this accelerometer ??

Schematic of the accelerometer

Thanks.

Analog signals should be OK. You'll just get values below 1023 (5V). Or you could feed 3.3V to the Aref pin and use the EXTERNAL analog reference.

For digital pins, outputs from the accelerometer should be OK because a HIGH 3.3V output will also be HIGH to a 5V input.

Digital inputs on the accelerometer might be a problem. If they are "5V Tolerant" you can use 5V outputs to talk to them. You'll have to check the datasheet. If they are NOT "5V Tolerant" you will need a level shifter.

It would be Ok If I make a voltage divider to drop 5v to 3.3v for the input pins of the accelerometer?

ghost_pattern: It would be Ok If I make a voltage divider to drop 5v to 3.3v for the input pins of the accelerometer?

It has worked for me. I don't even bother using two different resistor values to get the voltage right. I just use two 1K resistors to get 2.5V logic levels which seem to work with 3.3V logic.

ghost_pattern: It would be Ok If I make a voltage divider to drop 5v to 3.3v for the input pins of the accelerometer?

If the sensor only needs 400uA then you should be OK with resistors.

hi I am trying to connect a mma7361 accelerometer to arduino. My hardware seems to be ok. the problem that I am having is related with the accelerometer readings. I am trying to activate a led light when the accelerometer is sensing motion for some reason this is not happening.

Can somebody help?

Can somebody help?

Please read and follow the instructions in the "How to use this forum" post.

Best to start your own thread, rather than revive one that has been dead for 3 years.