modbus protocol

Hello,
Need some information and help on using Modbus protocol and arduino through TCP/IP.
I have a project with a controller that accepts ASCII command through serial or TCP/IP for configuration and operation, and I would like to have some hints on how to use it with Modbus.
basic operations are start the print, stop the print, update printing fields, connect, etc..

Thank you

What type of Arduino board are you using?

Post a link to that controller's manual!

Printing controllers seldomly use the Modbus protocol. It's typically used to read sensors or control simple outputs.

pylon:
What type of Arduino board are you using?

Post a link to that controller's manual!

Printing controllers seldomly use the Modbus protocol. It's typically used to read sensors or control simple outputs.

I don't have a complete manual, but it says:
for TCP/IP use device IP address and Port 1500.
the controller will send a response to every command you send.
Examples of commands:
CMD:R# to start the print
CMD:S# to stop the print
There are other commands, they all have the same format (end with #).
Thank you

@abdelhmimas, can you tell us what the controller is? Manufacturer and model number etc?

The brand is incjet
OnBoardRIP Software Integration Guide Document No: IJM017
Thanks

this is what want to achieve:
the main PC will be in the head office and connected to the internet,
the industrial printers will be at the plant.
they want to change messages from the head office.
what hardware/software do I need?
Thank you

Examples of commands:
CMD:R# to start the print
CMD:S# to stop the print

That's not Modbus for sure.

this is what want to achieve:
the main PC will be in the head office and connected to the internet,
the industrial printers will be at the plant.
they want to change messages from the head office.
what hardware/software do I need?

I don't see how the Arduino is involved.

pylon:
That's not Modbus for sure.

I don't see how the Arduino is involved.

So we cannot use arduino for this setup?

So we cannot use arduino for this setup?

Where did you plan to use it? Should it play the server role? Should it be part of the printers? As you still failed to provide information on that printer's type, model or name we only know that it seems to be some kind of inkjet. These printers usually include a driver board so I really don't see why an Arduino should be involved.

Provide much more detail information about your project. Having only the tiny bits of information you provided yet we're not able to help you.

@Pylon,
these are the questions I am looking for answers, if you could make a suggestion for what hardware and setup I must have to start this project. I honestly have no answers
this is the link for the incjet printer.

Thanks

I stand to be corrected but If I'm understanding your post correctly you need to convert from modbus tcp to modbus RTU. You need a device called modbus server or something like that. B&B Electronics have a product called mesr9001, I used it and it works smooth, basically you convert from an RJ 45 socket with an Ip adress to a serial port for Modbus Rtu, If you need more info feel free to askask me, Regards

@bastjan,
Thank you for your answer.
What I want to achieve is to control these industrial printers from a remote station through internet.
They will be installed let’s say in the production line, connected to the same network.
I would like to control these printers from the head office in another location. The manager can change the messages to print for example. At the beginning, I though about Modbus, but I believe that these printers have their own protocol (please see the manual) that accepts ASCII type commands through TCP/IP.
Thanks

Then if you need raw ascii data the same brand have a model vesr9001 instead of mesr which is for modbus, the vesr simply converts from ethernet to serial

Thank you bastjan

Thank you for your answer.
What I want to achieve is to control these industrial printers from a remote station through internet.
They will be installed let's say in the production line, connected to the same network.
I would like to control these printers from the head office in another location. The manager can change the messages to print for example. At the beginning, I though about Modbus, but I believe that these printers have their own protocol (please see the manual) that accepts ASCII type commands through TCP/IP.

According to the manual these printer boards allow to be controlled by an IP network, so theoretically you don't need the server in your picture but control all printers remotely. But on that remote site you need a computer that knows what exactly to send to the printers. I expect that you already have that component.

I still don't see where the Arduino is located in that setup but that may be caused by a lack of information from your side.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.