MODEL ROCKET LAUNCH SYSTEM

I am trying to figure out the best way to launch 8 model rockets (independently) from my RC warship using one of my remote control channels as the input to fire one rocket at a time when switched on and then move to the next rocket when switched off. I'm just starting out on this idea but would greatly appreciate any ideas you may have. Keep in mind I have never written any code in my life but do have a basic understanding about electrical circuits. I hope this is easy one.

The problem is... We don't know anything about your RC system. Or, are you building a completely new RC setup for the rockets?

...to fire one rocket at a time when switched on and then move to the next rocket when switched off.

Since (like a lot of projects) you're doing something unique, you'll have to figure out the details yourself.

For the software - Start by reading-through the [u]Arduino Language Reference[/u]. You won't understand all of it... You probably won't understand much of it... But, it will give you an idea of what you can to.

Then, work-through some of the [u]Examples[/u]. Everybody starts with the basic Blink LED example, and since it blinks the Arduino's built-in LED there is no additional hardware required.

The two most important concepts in programming are conditional execution (if statements, etc.) and loops (doing something over-and-over, usually until some condition is reached). Once you understand those concepts, you're on your way to understanding how to make a useful program.

What you want to do is fairly simple (if we ignore anything relating to remote control)... You simply need to make a looping counter that "counts-up" and triggers the next output every time the switch is activated.

The tricky parts are that you need some software to de-bounce the switch and you'll need some logic to wait for the next switch activation. One approach would be a while() loop that does nothing but read the switch, and when the switch is activated, you exit the loop and continue to the next count to fire the next rocket.

For program development, you can simply use 8 LEDs. When everything works, you can add the relays/transistors/MOSFETs or whatever you need to fire the rockets.

Do NOT try to write the whole program at once... Take it one small step at a time! For example, make the switch fire one LED. Than maybe make it fire two (or more) in sequence without waiting for a 2nd switch activation. Then add the code to make it pause and wait for the switch between firings... Choose a development sequence that makes sense and do it in a way so you can test each added step.

Show us a picture of your rockets.

The rockets would be something similar to a mini max hobby rocket. They only shoot about 100 ft in the air. I am building a large scale Ticonderoga scale guided missile cruiser and want to create a functioning Vertical launch System (VLS). The radio is a 12 channel 2.4gHz (Model Airplane System).

global10:
I am trying to figure out the best way to launch 8 model rockets (independently) from my RC warship using one of my remote control channels as the input to fire one rocket at a time when switched on and then move to the next rocket when switched off. I’m just starting out on this idea but would greatly appreciate any ideas you may have. Keep in mind I have never written any code in my life but do have a basic understanding about electrical circuits. I hope this is easy one.

In the good old days we used escarpment mechanisms for this (tick tock).
One pulse caused a wheel to advance by one tick.
Could be done electronically now though.

You know, when you are asked for: more information, code or in this case an image, making people hunt for the information isn't the best way to get help.
I am sure you know your particulars but we don't.

What are your igniter power requirements?
Will these be set off in sequence or all at once?
Do you want supervision on the igniters?
Do you want both manual and automatic mode?
Do you want a display?
What other requirements do you need?
Will you be doing this work yourself?

I've tried to post photos but they keep rejecting the jpeg's.

Use imgur
Imgur

You can post them as attatchments but have to size them below 1MB.

global10:
I've tried to post photos but they keep rejecting the jpeg's.

maybe they are too large ?

Boardburner2:
In the good old days we used escarpment mechanisms for this (tick tock).
One pulse caused a wheel to advance by one tick.
Could be done electronically now though.

How is this done electrically now? If I can get my remote control to operate a servo (or something) to somehow activate the first pulse and so on that might work. Some type of ratcheting device with 8 channel or pins. Looks like I could provide 4-12VDC input and probably would need 12VDC output to fire the model rockets.

Well, since there were no answers, efforts will be elsewhere, good hunting.