Modify Prusa 3D printer firmware - something's gone wrong...

Hi,

First of all, I'm not a coder. However, I'm trying to customize the firmware for my Prusa 3D printer. The instructions on GitHub (GitHub - prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware: Firmware for Original Prusa i3 3D printer by PrusaResearch) say to modify 'platform.txt' file which is part of the Arduino 1.6.9 installation. This apparently enables the printer to recognize and track the height of its vertical moving axis. Thing is, I have done as the instructions say and the printer doesn't show the height, only a ? where the numbers should be. I have taken this up with Prusa and they say it's something to do with the Arduino program, specifically the edited platform.txt document. So I've come here, seeking advice...

You can find more information at (second post from the bottom on page 1 and all page 2)

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Fairfarren

Oh come on, is there no one who can contribute? Prusa has officially given up. Anyone? Please?

Ok, here is what happens... according to GitHub (GitHub - prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware: Firmware for Original Prusa i3 3D printer by PrusaResearch) if I edit 'platform.txt' belonging to Arduino by changing a line of code from
"compiler.c.elf.flags={compiler.warning_flags} -Os -Wl,--gc-sections" to
"compiler.c.elf.flags={compiler.warning_flags} -Os -Wl,-u, vfprintf -lprintf_flt lm - wl,--gc-sections" that will enable the printer firmware to recognoze the Z axis height.
Only it's not working. Axis height shows as "?" If I flash the printer with the original Prusa firmware, there is no problem. But when I use Arduino, even without changing ANY of the actual printer coding, the Z height reads "?", even though the code is written to the board successfully. Why does this happen and how do I fix it? What more information do you need?

Printer: Prusa MK3MMU2
Board: EINSy miniRAMBO
Software: Arduino 1.6.9
Code sourced from Github prusa page: GitHub - prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware: Firmware for Original Prusa i3 3D printer by PrusaResearch

The Firmware for a 3D printer is complex off-the-shelf software. This Forum is for helping people with programs they write themselves.

You are more likely to get assistance on the Reprap Forum which specializes in 3D printing.

...R

Ok, thanks for the heads-up.

Robin2:
The Firmware for a 3D printer is complex off-the-shelf software. This Forum is for helping people with programs they write themselves.

You are more likely to get assistance on the Reprap Forum which specializes in 3D printing.

...R

What about helping people who are having problems with Arduino?

YoungR0se:
What about helping people who are having problems with Arduino?

If you are having an Arduino problem that is NOT related to a very complex off-the-shelf software package I, or one, will certainly try to help.

...R

Did you try an older version of the Arduino AVR install? 1.6.x or something? Might have to go back a few updates. Sounds like some non compatible code...

Did you check through all the code to make sure there is not some read from EEPROM that would not exist on your replacement ?

Slumpert:
Did you check through all the code to make sure there is not some read from EEPROM that would not exist on your replacement ?

Sorry, can you say that a little more clearly, for those of us who know little about the coding envirinment? What is EEPROM?

EEPROM is non volatile memory that, for a 3D printer, allows you to change and save settings without modifying the firmware. It's handy in that you don't need to re-flash the printer just to change basic settings but slightly annoying in that the only way to see what the actual values are is to "ask" the printer.
I'm certainly no expert but I'd be surprised if this issue is caused by that.

Based on the posts in the forum you linked, I would suspect you may have modified the wrong 'platform.txt' file.The lines you're modifying in 'platform.txt' are compiler settings and so if the change has no effect, it's possible that's not the version of the file the compiler is actually looking at. Have you tried with an older or clean install of Arduino like XRAD suggested? Or at least searching for more versions of the file?