Modify UC1701 LCD to use I2C instead of SPI

I found a low power monochrome LCD that I really like, but I have some ideas for using with an ATtiny85. I want to reduce the number of pins needed and communicate with it via I2C. I believe this controller can make use of parallel, SPI and I2C interfaces and it's just a matter of setting the right jumpers. I can't find any documentation and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to accomplish it. Here's an image of the back of the display (JLX12864-086)

Ok, but it works when used via 4-Wire SPI communication?

Oliver

olikraus:
Ok, but it works when used via 4-Wire SPI communication?

Oliver

Yes, it works fine in 4-wire SPI mode. I just want to know if it can be made to run in I2C mode.

I did some research. I think this is the datasheet for your module: http://www.jlxlcd.cn/UpFile/201542292957.pdf.
And this is the datasheet for the LCD itself. Especially it contains the description of the flex wire cable from the LCD to the PCB: http://www.jlxlcd.cn/UpFile/2014322142544.pdf
The controller (UC1701) is part of the LCD itself, but the BM0 and BM1 inputs of the controller (which are used to select the communication interface) are not available on the LCD flex cable. So: You can not modify this. SPI interface is hard coded into the LCD itself.

Moreover: I think the controller UC1701 does not support I2C.

Oliver

Do you know of a similar monochrome LCD display that is sold with an I2C interface?

There are several option. I personally have a 128x64 Display with a ST7588 controller: gallery · olikraus/u8g2 Wiki · GitHub, but I do not remember from where I got this display.

Another option is the DOGM128 Display, which can be configured for I2C.

Oliver

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't find a reasonable price for those. They seem to be north of $20 each depending on the vendor. The display needs to cost $5 each or less for this application.

I think 128x64 I2C LCD display are very uncommon. The most common display controller UC1701 and ST7565 do not support I2C.

Here might be an option:

Oliver