Momentary Button for Project Power?

I have an Arduino project and have already drilled the holes not knowing that the switch I have is a momentary button which needs to turn on my Arduino and continue to supply power to the board one pressed.

The button has five pins: normally open, normally closed, common, and two for +/- for an LED. I'm unsure how to use a momentary switch to complete the circuit and keep my Arduino powered on. The problem being that the momentary switch is momentary and therefore will stop supplying power when the button isn't being pushed. The arduino will have to be off the entire time until the switch is hit so it can't be monitoring it.

Many switches are available in momentary or latching versions, you really need a latching type.

Show details of the switch you have and we might be able to suggest a suitable latching one that fits your drilled holes.

You could build a latching circuit but it's not worth it. Look for a "push-on push-off" switch.

Look at Pololu.com, they have a power switch unit that turns on when a momentary input is provided.

Basically a neater version of one of these designs:

…or… power the arduino permanently. Use sleep modes when its done what you want and use the momentary input to trigger the interrupt pin to wake the arduino up.

I thought I had a latching before i drilled the holes but should've checked. I was thinking I could push the momentary button down for a second to temporarily turn the Arduino board on. As soon as the Arduino is on it can pull the gate of a FET high which will power itself until switch is hit again and the Arduino pulls the gate low and powers itself off. Would that work?

I was hoping to be done with this project in the next day or two as this project is a gift so I was hoping to do it without having to order new parts if possible. The Arduino is run off battery and will likely not be used for months at a time so I'd like to conserve battery by having everything off instead of sleeping even if the low power libraries get it down to almost no current draw.

Get a momentary to latching converter (which I think is the same that CrossRoads is talking about)

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Momentary-to-latching-converter-22-to-16V-P1129.aspx

• might be able to find it cheaper.. but TCSS is a solid store with great shipping times)

video:

freebird4446:
I thought I had a latching before i drilled the holes but should've checked. I was thinking I could push the momentary button down for a second to temporarily turn the Arduino board on. As soon as the Arduino is on it can pull the gate of a FET high which will power itself until switch is hit again and the Arduino pulls the gate low and powers itself off. Would that work?

I was hoping to be done with this project in the next day or two as this project is a gift so I was hoping to do it without having to order new parts if possible. The Arduino is run off battery and will likely not be used for months at a time so I'd like to conserve battery by having everything off instead of sleeping even if the low power libraries get it down to almost no current draw.

what is this being used in? (sounds similar to what is used in the lightsaber prop scene)

what they do there is build in a kill key... this connects power to the Arduino (FX) board itself.. but it doesnt start 'doing anything' until the momentary button is presssed

See EEVblog: