monitor ADB (apple desktop bus) mouse

my setup: i have a mini-din on the breadboard connected to the mouse and have the adb-data line connected to both rx(0) and tx(1). how can i monitor the serial communication via the console now?

what i'm trying to do is reuse old adb externals .. mouse / keyboard / wacom.

thanks F

Use software serial and redirect the signals to the software serial pins. Which you connect to your serial port after level conversion. Use a max232 for instance.

If the baudrate of the peripherals is 9600 baud or below you can use software serial for the peripherals and connect the hardware serial to your computer.

The last time I looked (I think I was contemplating a device to let me connect PS2 peripherals to an old Apple CPU), Apple had not published much (or anything?) about the operation of adb at the wire level unless you had licensed the details from them. That made things rather difficult :( I'm pretty sure it's nothing as simple as "standard" async serial protocols.

i found minimal information at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Desktop_Bus

the project is mainly about hacking / reusing the old stuff for some project that might come (i'm just getting into the whole electronics world). i thought if i could monitor the talk on the adb-data line i could make some sense out of it .. hence my question.

what is "software serial"? i think i missed to say there's an arduino involved which sits in between the mouse and my powerbook. so, mouse is connected with it's single data-line to rx/tx on the arduino (dpin 0,1) and arduino is being listened to via serial monitor. wikipedia states that adb-communication sends a command to the address the device (mouse) is connected to and then listens to the response ... how can i both talk to the mouse and send the responses to the monitor without generating an echo?

i found the ps/2 mouse example and it was a good starter to get an old ps/2 keyboard connected and talking to processing ... but having a mac history i have a lot more mac periphericals than pc ones.

thanks for your answers! F

just found this: http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2000JUN/2000JUN02_CT_AN8.PDF

explains ADB in pretty much detail .. F