Monitor Power cuts while I'm away

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a little project to monitor for tiny power "blips" or outages and using something like Blynk to monitor on a smartphone for when these occur. We have had a few recently and I would like to keep a track of them. I'm also away fairly regularly so I want to monitor from a distance hence the Blynk app.

A few of the issues I face are:

-what is the best way to keep the power to the board while the blip/outage occurs
-I'm probably going to have to use a GSM module to keep communication open, although I could monitor when the board has power and count no comms as power out but this may not be reliable, any thoughts would be appreciated
-What method is best to use to monitor the power? Maybe have something plugged in constantly and measure amp usage or something else? This is the only way I can see at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

-what is the best way to keep the power to the board while the blip/outage occurs

Power the Arduino from a battery that is charged while in use.

-I'm probably going to have to use a GSM module to keep communication open, although I could monitor when the board has power and count no comms as power out but this may not be reliable, any thoughts would be appreciated

How is Blynk going to interact with the GSM module?

Maybe have something plugged in constantly and measure amp usage or something else?

Plug a regulated 5V wall-wart in, and just read the voltage. It's HIGH (there is power) or it's not (power outage).

quote:"Plug a regulated 5V wall-wart in, and just read the voltage. It's HIGH (there is power) or it's not (power outage)."

If you are going to use something like this, you need to see how many missing power cycles it takes before the wall wart voltage drops. Around here, we get switching transients of a cycle or so in length. Then there are phase changes from before the bump to after the bump. Do you call these power cuts?

Paul