Mopar Classic cluster

Mopar clusters are known to burn out their gauge motors when the voltage regulator fails.Reference voltage is 5V. Instead of failing to 0v it applies full 12V to the cluster thus buring out the motors. Rebuilinding them or getting the cluster rebuilt is costly.

I was hoping to use a Arduino board to run replacement stepper or servo motors to replace the stock units.

I would need to run a total of 4 motors, first question what board would be best to use?

Also what type of motor would be used best? I could attempt to get allowable motor sizing in a little bit if needed.

Servo motors sound like an option. Steppers not so much.

For 4 servo motors, any basic Arduino should be ok. I would recommend Nano 3, Pro Mini.

From what I read is that the system would also run on a 5V reference. Since the original one has proven to be unreliable what board would be recommend for this?

The sweep that the cluster would require isnt anything more than 180 degrees. To attach the motors to the cluster how has others done this? Hot glue or?

Ive seen some coding for this situation but if one could link one I could use easily. Ive coded years ago so Im super rusty, hopefully it will come back to me.

I feel your pain. I replace those old regulators with modern ones every chance I get. (on Fords too)

Pretty much any arduino board will work. I usually go for a Nano.

The motors you need can be found by searching "automotive gauge stepper motor" they are quite common.

I believe they are called x51 stepper? I think... sticks in my mind when I changed them out on both a GMC Denali and Chevy Express. I may have a few of those still... would those work?

How would I attach them? other than just glue....unless thats the preferred way?

Also any source for replacement needle types? Would like to use stock looking ones as much as possible

THANK YOU in advance

Most Arduino have a built-in 5V regulator, but it's not capable of delivering enough current for one motor, certainly not 4, given a 12V input. I suggest a 12V-5V DC-DC converter module, one designed for automotive use, and rated for maybe 2A.

I believe they are called x51 stepper? I think... sticks in my mind when I changed them out on both a GMC Denali and Chevy Express. I may have a few of those still... would those work?

Yep those are the ones.

How would I attach them? other than just glue....unless thats the preferred way?

Dealers choice :sunglasses:

Also any source for replacement needle types? Would like to use stock looking ones as much as possible

The only way I found was to break the mounting post off the GM needle and glue it to the back of the factory needle. :o

10-4

Just a run down I would need to order either a Nano 3, Pro Mini board, 4 servos, a replacement 5v regulated unit for reference and of course the servos that I may already have.

As for the programming I would deal fiddle with once I get everything…

Does somebody have a code setup for such a design, of course minus the exact parameters of the cluster layout and reference ohms?

Your fuel,oil and water are simple resistive sensors and all can be read the same way by using a voltage divider. There are many tutorials for using Analogue sensors.

You can use the Accelstepper library or just code the steppers yourself again lots of tuts.

For driving the stepper motors you will need drivers . There are motor control boards available that typically hold up to 4 drivers.

Finally the Amp Gauge!
This one is not like the others, it does not use the 5v system. It not only take 12v it also takes the full current of the entire car minus the starter. This is why mopars always burn that one wire in the firewall plug and why they have since used voltmeter's and not ampmeter's. Even in stock form they are fire hazards if not maintained well. My advice is to not mess with it or change it over to a voltmeter run by your arduino. dealers choice :slight_smile:

On this car the AMP gauge is fully independent to the the rest of the cluster circuitry on this car and doesn't use the same type of motor as the other troublesome ones. ......................

Yes sorry was quick to reply. I actually had this issue already had to rebuild the plug and add a fusable link.
Bear with my limited knowledge Drivers and Controller would be the same thing, no?

I didn't see your edit till now.

Bear with my limited knowledge Drivers and Controller would be the same thing, no?

No, Expansion Board for Arduino with 4pcs A4988 Stepper Motor Driver with Heatsinks

What programing would help setup everything would work best?

All I would need is the sensor parameters and motor limits...

Ok thus far;

Ive already have the GM stepper motors x27 I think they were from when I rebuilt one cluster and sold the other vehcile before I rebuilt it.

Parts ordered:

Arduini Nano Board
CNC Shield Board V3 A4988 Stepper Motor Driver ( I think is overkill for X27 stepper motors? )
Arduino cables

Also have on the way a Arduino CNC Shield Board V4 A4988

I've used alot of these for 5V power Cheap 5V, 3A supply
And they also have.. Automotive gauge guts

Actually, If I were to try this, I think I'd just use really small RC servos. Much easier to code and no driver board needed.

-jim lee

Im running a Anduino Uno. I'm trying to preprogram basic parameters to run stepper motors 2 possibly 3.

I was hoping to fine tune the limits once I get the ohms and where I want the needle to read. early help with this part would be great if possible.

Im new to this and hoping to pickup on each step I need.

Ive messed with servos in the earlier past. Could you post a model or picture of the "type" of servo you have in mind, what I have in mind is kinda bulky. Also the recommendation would help make sure the " arm swing" would be smooth, I may pick a wrong setup and regret it. Is there a number I should be looking for?

I was hoping to fine tune the limits once I get the ohms and where I want the needle to read.

I have no idea what this means

Please provide more details of your project and what you are trying to do

Furthermore, there is no help if there is no question.

Common sense would say, if you are new to something, first step would be start with one.

Ive done some searching and still plan to. Trying to absorb the wording at the same time.

I was hoping I would get some help with the programming of such stepper motors.

Im planning on inputting the limits, etc. once I figure out the whole layout and what readings would reflect the needle position, thermo couple ohms. Gas sending unit would also read in ohms as well, and please correct my wording if it helps me communicate what exactly Im looking for.

@kinghawk

TOPIC MERGED.

Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Continued cross posting could result in a time out from the forum.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.