More prescise control of Ping Sensor

Hey, I'm using an ultrasonic ping sensor similar to the "Parallax PING sensor", using the NewPing library: http://code.google.com/p/arduino-new-ping/ . What I'm wondering is if I can get ore precise control, such as sending out a single pulse, and being able to listen for the sent pulse. For example I want to send a pulse towards 2 panes. I should get back multiple reflected signals and from the results possibly measure the distance between the panes

The ping sensors (afaik) can do one measurement at the time, so for 2 distances you need two measurements.

What you might do is to put 2 PING sensors on different pin's and have some code to see which return first (time1) and second (time2)
and subtract times to get an indication of the distance.

I think the best results are with one sensor - 2 measurements.

Shatnerz:
Hey, I'm using an ultrasonic ping sensor similar to the "Parallax PING sensor", using the NewPing library: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. . What I'm wondering is if I can get ore precise control, such as sending out a single pulse, and being able to listen for the sent pulse. For example I want to send a pulse towards 2 panes. I should get back multiple reflected signals and from the results possibly measure the distance between the panes

As the author of NewPing, I know a thing or two about how ultrasonic sensors are designed. Your first problem is that most send out several pings when you initiate just one. This is done to be more sure they get a reflected ping back. Therefore, all it ever really knows is when the FIRST reply comes back. Your second problem is that almost every ping sensor has a "quiet time" after a ping where it basically turns off before it will initiate another ping. This is done to prevent any echo readings.

Basically, you won't be able to do what you want, even with multiple sensors as each sensor will only ever give you the reading of the FIRST echo (the closest object). To do what you want, you would need to design your own custom ping sensor that would send out a ping and then catch all return pings and process this information probably in your sketch. Designing your own ping sensor can be done, but is very challenging.

My first thought is to contact MaxBotix. They may have designed a sensor like this already and are known for designing sensors for custom applications. As it would be difficult to design your own ping sensor, it may be easier and less expensive to have MaxBotix do it for you.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Thanks, I'll look into designing my own sensor