More SRAM please

Hi all,

OK I have a few Arduino’s, love the IDE and C language + libs, but the biggest Arduino I have is the DUE and this just does not have enough SRAM for my A/D project, I can see a few people have tried to add more SRAM but it all appears a little complicated.

So, any suggestions of how to get more SRAM on a Arduino style board would be great.

512Kb or 1GB would be great, I am happy to make my own PCB’s (via a PCB manufacturer) for this but just need schematics and even make my own main board for the “Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3” adding the SRAM I need on it.

Thanks

Hold on.

512Kbits or bytes?

The difference between 512Kb and 1GB is a factor of 125,000....

Here is a 512Kbit SRAM chip. Small and easy to use. Can also be made "non-volatile" with a supercap/battery backup.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1697932.pdf

If you want 512 K*BYTES* then have fun with this: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/semiconductors/memory-chips/sram-memory-chips/#esid=4294957692

Johnny010: The difference between 512Kb and 1GB is a factor of 125,000....

Uhh. No...

--- bill

bperrybap: Uhh. No...

--- bill

means difference between 512 kbits and 1 gbyte. Didn't somebody pretty recently make a SRAM extension for the Mega? It was a shield, I think.

Let's be logical and suppose that "Kb" did NOT mean kilo-bits, but rather either "kilobytes" or "megabytes" Microcontrollers are traditionally RAM-poor (I've recently been a bit boggled by noticing that the entire 8-bit PIC microcontroller architecture(s) max out at only 4k of "ram")

For lots of memory, you might as well go to a microprocessor based system like a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone. (there are lots of choices, in the same price ranges as Due+MemoryExpansion would run.)

Isaac96: means difference between 512 kbits and 1 gbyte.

???? not sure how to interpret this.

My comment was that a factor of 125,000 is WRONG. We are not doing Verizon math. Divide 1GB by 512kbits or 64KB and see what you get..... hint: It isn't anywhere close to 125,000

In terms of needing 512MB or 1GB, I'd say that this is way beyond what any micro-controller will have, and if it is really needed, then it is also way outside the scope of an Arduino environment. That is a massive amount of RAM (fast storage). What on earth would need that much RAM storage? Things like Routers, NAS devices, video streamers, and many other embedded device use that much or less.

If you really need that much RAM storage, then you should be looking at embedded computers like Raspberry Pi where you have a real operating system, network connectivity, real development tools and gobs of CPU horsepower and RAM resources.

--- bill

bperrybap:
In terms of needing 512MB or 1GB, I’d say that this is way beyond what any micro-controller will have, and if it is really needed, then it is also way outside the scope of an Arduino environment.
That is a massive amount of RAM (fast storage).
What on earth would need that much RAM storage?

a cheap pc or notebook from previous millenium. there are a few mcu, albeit expensive, in that order of magnitude too. at risk or repeating myself:

i have several stm32 in my junkbox with 256k-384k ram. however due to nasty arm programming i prefer avr with cheap external memory chip added. with bank select a gigabyte is trivial for those with built-in address and data bus like m8515, m128, m2560 etc…

scarr: I have is the DUE and this just does not have enough SRAM for my A/D project,

wy does your project need more RAM than a DUE can provides?

And if you have some reasons to use huge amounts of RAM: Why don't you combine your Arduino simply with an computer (i.e. PC, Raspberry, smartphone) wich has more RAM and leave the RAM consuming tasks (graphing on a graphical display perhaps?) to the device wich has enough RAM?

jurs: wy does your project need more RAM than a DUE can provides?

I would assume it is likely to be an XY problem...

--- bill

Considering that the XY problem is intimately related with reluctance to explain the requirement in any fashion that could be even remotely considered adequate - after all, that really is of course the problem in a nutshell - I think we can safely conclude that here, as ever. :roll_eyes: