More than just I.T.

Copier fix'd!

Plus the accountant reimbursed me for the soldering iron ;D Sturdier switch goes in tomorrow, that switch and the leads are from my Arduino Starter kit.

With a title like that, I thought this would be spam.
Nice work; hope no one gets electrocuted! I guess you can do anything with an arduino starter kit!

ah its probably just a digital switch, I dont think you would have to worry much about "reheating someones coffee"

good hack, hope it wasn't under warranty or lease hehe

I tried to get my work to get me a new soldering iron, but .. "whats wrong with the hakko you have"?

it needs a new switch

"so fix it"

I need a soldering iron :smiley:

anyway they didnt spring the whole 5 bucks at walmart so I am bringing in mine tomorrow (cheapos), and look forward to sarcastic comments in my productivity report

If you don't mind me asking, Osgeld, what do you do for a living?

From the bits and pieces I've seen you discuss, it sounds like something fun ;D!

no its the most dull job in the universe, I just "stumble" into things to break the stress

Hah alright. Well, it's those little things that make it worth it I suppose :).

ah its probably just a digital switch, I dont think you would have to worry much about "reheating someones coffee"

good hack, hope it wasn't under warranty or lease hehe

The broken switch looked pretty much like the new part except with half as many legs so I assumed it would be running a safely low voltage.

The machine is one of these: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Personal_Copiers/Digital/PC-D320/index.asp

It has USB2.0 (unused as it's just being a photocopier here), and has been sat powered-up but unused for months. They'd been poking the switch with a pen since the big green button fell into the depths, so I guess warranty cover was long gone.

I can't remount the big green button properly, so I'm thinking of going for an impressive-looking over-engineered big red pushswitch ;D Might be tough finding one to fit to hole though, ones wide enough to fill it are too deep to fit between the board and the surface.

replace it with a reed switch stuck against the front edge of the console. Next jam a cheap web cam into the hole. Then put a small magnet in your hand a stride over to the machine and present your eye to the reader whilst pressing the magnet to the edge of the console. Will blow their minds.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

;D

Hmmm looks like something I have to do at work on all the time, the problem is that fixes like that seem to stay there permanently!!! although my boss did buy me a new soldering iron so I should not complain.

btw anyone know how to do a nice little capacitance switch circuit, one touch on, one touch off???