Mosfet as switch

Hello.

I am trying to control my Nikon camera with a microcontroller, and have a cable which converts the camera plug to a stereo plug connection.

The tip of the plug is the shutter, the middle part of the plug is the focus and the bottom of the plug is ground. When you short the shutter pin to the ground for example it fires the camera.

Anyway, I want to try and control the camera using what I have if possible, and I am wondering if something like a N channel Mosfet like the following (http://www.freetronics.com.au/products/n-mosfet-driver-output-module#.VaZPsPmqpBc) would be able to control the camera?

If that is the case and I can use something like this safely, is it the case that I would connect the gate to the microcontroller, the ground of the cable to the ground of the arduino and the source of the Mosfet, and then the top pin of the stereo plug to the drain on the mosfet?

Many Thanks!

Trav.

Well it is massive overkill but yes it looks like it might work. Before you spend any money make sure that the voltage you see between the shutter and ground does not exceed 60V, try this with the flash on the camera as well.

Thanks Mike,

Its more that I already have that than specifically it is the best way to do it, the voltage is 5v so looks like this might be the easiest way to do it.

If I have a few relays, and a relay controller board is there any benefit in using relay's over say a mosfet other than just the isolation?

is there any benefit in using relay's over say a mosfet other than just the isolation?

No, but a relay is not as fast, makes a noise and in time will wear out.

Personally, I'd use a high speed switching transistor. MOSFET is overkill and not as fast, you don't want any shutter lag ;)

Personally, I'd use a high speed switching transistor. MOSFET is overkill and not as fast,

Are you saying that the switching speed of a mosfet and a transistor are sufficiently different to make any difference in this project?

If so then please show your working with real numbers.

With the 1k gate resistor that MOSFET is indeed 'slow', it might take 2us to switch, an amazing amount of shutter lag, I mean that supersonic bullet you must be snapping will travel all of ~2mm in that time, completely ruining the picture!

Drive it with a MOSFET driver and it will switch on in 0.02us, 0.02mm of bullet travel.

In my case, shutter lag is not a major issue. I am working on an Arduino version of the gigapan, a pan tilt robot that drives a DSLR.

Instead of doing a panoramic with say 5 stitched photos, to bring out the detail it may use 50 more 'zoomed-in' photos to combine into one big image.

The movement of the motors, and delay for the camera to stabilize is more significant than the drive speed (provided it does not take minutes lol) of the shutter so I can live with the extra travel.

Reality is with the high speed triggering anyway, that the shutter speed is more significant than the time to drive the camera (I have tried with Balloon bursting) and unless you do it in the dark, and trigger say a flash based on sound with the camera shutter already open, it misses it anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

Arduino camera remote shutter

Google Search: Arduino camera remote shutter