MOSFET IRF510 (radio shack purchase) issues and testing question

I just picked up a IRF510 MOSFET from Radio Shack in my out of town trip this yesterday (closest radio shacks are about 45min-1 hour away). After I got home, i went to test it out. My question is, should i be able to test out the source-drain with just the +5V from my arduino (+ resistor + LED), or do I need to have a higher power source?

the way I hooked it up to test was like this...

Arduino Pin 7 to Gate, with 10K resistor pulling to ground. Arduino 5V to Source 1K resistor from Drain to LED, and LED to ground

in that configuration, no matter if Pin 7 is HIGH or LOW, the LED stays on

Arduino Pin 7 to Gate, with 10K resistor pulling to ground. good Arduino 5V to Source not good, arduino GND to Source 1K resistor from Drain to LED, and LED to ground not good, 1K resistor from Drain to LED (cathode), LED to arduino +5V (anode)

And while if properly wired up your mosfet may work it will only because of the relatively low drain current you are using with that led/resistor load. A IRF510 is NOT a logic level mosfet, so the arduino +5vdc output cannot fully saturate the mosfet to it's full on (lowest Ron spec) current specification. You should be using a LOGIC level N-channel mosfet for direct connection to arduino output pins.

Lefty

awesome, everything is working perfectly now, thanks.