Mosfet shield for Pro Mini

Hello guys,

do you know of any ready for purchase shields for pro mini with several (>=2) mosfets on them?
i found this one, but it is no longer made :frowning:

any other ones?
thanks.

I published one for the Arduino Mini at OSHPark… OSH Park ~

If you don’t find anything else, order a batch of these and cut them down to Pro Mini size.

thanks.
im trying to find a shield with FETs already mounted. ready to use.

I doubt a commercial board exsists, no demand, otherwise Sparkfun would still be building them.

The Sparkfun product is open sourced and the Eagle files are available on their website. Send them to OSH Park and get three boards for probably about $10. Populate one or more and you’re done. If you’re not up to the task and are willing to pay the cost of parts, I’d build you one to three boards gratis, just send me a pm. Probably take about three weeks.

I thought the whole point of the small Nano and Pro Mini form factors is to do without bulky shields! What makes more sense in combination with a Pro Mini is a MOSFET breakout. You probably still have to solder the components on yourself, but again to me that feels just natural when you want to work with the Pro Mini.

What do you really want to do? MOSFET shields are rare but motor drivers are very common. It is very convenient to use motor drivers to power a light or heater. They work well for that, when you need better control than a relay.

MorganS:
What do you really want to do? MOSFET shields are rare but motor drivers are very common. It is very convenient to use motor drivers to power a light or heater. They work well for that, when you need better control than a relay.

i would like to drive 5 independant 1A / 3.7v LEDs.

That are some unusual LEDs. Don't they need LED drivers or so? Care to offer a data sheet of the specific LEDs?

honestly i don't have one

I'm using Surefire replacement LED bulbs from their flash lights. i have experimented with 3.7v dc (from a power supply) and they seem to run well.
in the flashlight they use a single 3.7V lion battery cell.

These LEDs actually have drivers built in them.
so all i need are small size multi channel mosfet switches that can shield a Pro mini for small size in RC models.

There are lots of MOSFETs in SOT23 package that can handle this current just fine. The PMV16XN is one that works great with 3.3V logic levels. Hard to get it smaller than that.

are there any ready to use pro mini shields that already have mosfets on them?
perhaps the motor driver shield is a good solution i just couldnt find a lot of them for pro mini form factor.

The whole point of using the Pro Mini is no shields. You solder it onto a piece of perfboard or stripboard, or even a custom PCB, together with any other modules you need such as motor driver breakouts.

Then add connectors or screw terminals for your motors, and wire it all up. Note: this module is not a good choice if all you want to do is switching on and off LEDs.

If you want shields, go for the Uno.

i have seen the board you linked used soldered on a pro mini. and thay might work for me. but i havent figured out the proper way to it (configuration of I/O pins etc).

basically what im trying to do is have arduino proportionally (pwm) control several mosfet for proportional switching of high power 1A LEDs, all while having a very small form factor. thats where pro mini shields (soldered straight on with no headers) come really handy.

As those LEDs have an LED driver built in already, this may or may not work. Do try it out on a breadboard!

i have been switching them with a mosfet on a breadboard already. works great. the next step is to implement a small size shield to make it all fit into my rc plane in a nice clean way :slight_smile:

does that driver board integrate directly on a pro mini, pin to pin?

Of course not.
It's not designed for switching LEDs in the first place, it's supposed to control two DC motors that operate on a separate power supply.

Please ditch that Pro Mini and go get an Uno, or learn how to design your own circuits and solder it all together!

wvmarle:
Of course not.
It's not designed for switching LEDs in the first place, it's supposed to control two DC motors that operate on a separate power supply.

Please ditch that Pro Mini and go get an Uno, or learn how to design your own circuits and solder it all together!

thank you for the offer. i have already considered that but decided to find a proper shield instead.

wvmarle:
Please ditch that Pro Mini and go get an Uno,

What a strange suggestion! :astonished:

Indeed, it's not what I would normally suggest but obviously OP desperately wants to use plug-on shields, and doesn't want to or is unable to wire up their own circuit.

The Uno has a great selection of shields, the Pro Mini or Nano footprints not.