MOSFETs for 3.3V logic level

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like Arduinos are headed for 3.3V logic levels. The Due being a pretty big hint. Personally, I use 3.3V Arduino Pro Minis whenever I can, but only because I can get them slightly cheaper than the 5V version. I also use Raspberry Pis which happen to use 3.3V for GPIO.

I've only recently (this morning) got into using MOSFETs to allow an Arduino to control higher voltage currents. So I really don't have much of an understanding of MOSFETs. I'm really struggling with where to find appropriate 3.3V logic level MOSFETs. What I'd like is a couple of MOSFET models that I could count on to be readily available and inexpensive. Basically, my goto MOSFET. Honestly, I'm not finding much of anything.

The best I've found is via Adafruit: The IRLB8721PbF.

Looks like I get to introduce myself to surface-mount components.

Any other suggestions?

Have you searched for:
logic level mos fet 3.3

Look at all the MOSFETs here with 2.7V and lower Vgs "FET Feature"
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/fets-single/1376381?k=mosfet

Thanks guys.

Robert, the Digikey search results you linked to finally made things click for me.

Larryd please don’t post when your information is wrong. The vgs on the
Link you posted is 10v. Not acceptable for a 3.3 or even a 5v ardunio.

Tim_Bootes, look again at the data sheet. I see Rds(on) of 0.035-0.045 Ohms at Vgs 5V, Id 16A. Rds(on) is specified at both 10V and 5V Vgs.

@Tim_Bootes
“Larryd please don’t post when your information is wrong. The vgs on the
Link you posted is 10v. Not acceptable for a 3.3 or even a 5v ardunio.“

So you are giving someone sh*t for a post made 3 years ago.
You must be hard up to pass you your ‘passive aggressiveness’.

Okay, i won’t post to your inquires again, wait, I never did.

By the way the 5v rating is as mentioned.
VGS=5V,ID=16A 0.035 0.045 Ω

Did you even look at the transfer characteristics curves?

And, I have used successfully used those at 3.3v.

We really need a check box where we can remind ourselves from posting to trolls.

1 Like

Re-boot Tim_Bootes! :astonished:

larryd:
So you are giving someone sh*t for a post made 3 years ago.

What's the age of the post got to do with it?

The issue is that what Tim_Bootes said was factually incorrect. But what if larryd had been wrong, and Tim_Bootes corrected him? Would it have been wrong to correct a 3 year old flaw to set the record straight for someone reading the thread in another 3 years?

ardy_guy:
The issue is that what Tim_Bootes said was factually incorrect. But what if larryd had been wrong, and Tim_Bootes corrected him?

In that case, Larry would have graciously thanked him for the correction as he does on the odd(!) occasion where I might do so. :grinning:

ardy_guy:
Would it have been wrong to correct a 3 year old flaw to set the record straight for someone reading the thread in another 3 years?

Not at all. If the correction is important, or it adds to useful information, it is perfectly valid. Just look at how old the “sticky” threads at the beginning of each forum topic are and still have contributions (where not locked).

But a first contribution from someone who proves themself (??himself) to be incompetent in respect of the subject is clearly worthy of derision. It is of course somewhat amusing to see people imagining that their reply may be of use or indeed even seen by the OP who had not posted here for some years (though “Rural” is in fact still with us and of course Larry has never left) but it is the combination of the two that is all the more disturbing. :astonished:

Paul__B:
But a first contribution from someone who proves themself (??himself) to be incompetent in respect of the subject is clearly worthy of derision.

Nobody is worthy of derision.

ardy_guy:

But ...

Tim_Bootes:
Larryd please don’t post when your information is wrong.

No, I think that qualifies in this case! :astonished:

ardy_guy:

yes, they are - if they talk nonsense, it is one's duty to call it out.

"live and let live, and the world eventually dies of stupidity."

"a society with grammar Nazis will eventually communicate perfectly."

The only result of Grammar Nazis is well articulated bollox

Another Necro! :astonished:

@larryd

"And, I have used successfully used those at 3.3v."

I am planning on using this mosfet to power another circuit that powers a 3.3V ProMini and Pocket Gieger @ 3.3V. It takes about ~20mA to run, however the controller is an ESP32 with 3.3V pins. Would I be able to use that MOSFET to turn on the FET to supply power to that circuitry from the ESP32?

I plan on buying in bulk, but I first want to make sure it should work.

Thanks

A NDP6020 should work, but you must confirm it will for your application before you commit to them.

Always start a new thread when you ask your questions.