Motion detection Video surveillance

hey,

So i was thinking of making a motion detection video surveillance. I have an old Black berry was hoping to rip it apart and find away to interface the camera with the Atmega. I haven't ripped apart the phone just yet but when i do i should be able to find datasheet on the camera so I can see how it function hoping the camera has a built it video processor if not I could probably kiss this project good bye.

Anyway point was to detect motion using the camera record until motion stop. It will store it on a USB or sd card i will us a shield it will then relay the info over wifi or Ethernet to a buffalo hard drive i have setup or maybe file server I have. I might use the file server instead.

Let me know what you think. I honestly don't think the Ardunio can do this if not i'll probably move to another chip.

Pucker up those lips.

Someone did a motion detector by looking at the size of file produced but that was with a camera that produced Jpeg files.

just to consider:

I bought a Dericam which works quite well - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,90432.0.html -

similar webcams can be found for less than 100 $ (check groupon)

not the same as making one but it has 2 IO lines to integrate with an Arduino. And you could have an Arduino connect to it through the web interface (not tried).

You might get more responses if this thread were in the 'Project Guidance' section. But don't cross post (start an other identical thread in that section), perhaps a moderator will move this one for you.

Don