motion tracking project

hello,

I am looking for some guidance. I am a sculptor who is just getting into arduino. I have done lots of kinetic work but all hand geared and basic motor work. I was thinking of making a small sculpture that tracks moment of someone walking in a room. I was thinking of using stepping motors so that it would be smoother than a servo hitting points. I wanted the appearance of it rotating where they moved. A second part to this that I think would be great but I have no idea how to pursue this. Is that when someone comes close enough to the small sculpture it would open up. I know this would involve a IR sensor and a small servo for the opening part but I didnt know if this all was possible...within reason.

I would love to hear your advise on how to get started. I know it is a big step as a project from my little knowledge but I think it would be a great way to learn with clear goals.

Thanks Daniel

I know this would involve a IR sensor and a small servo for the opening part but I didnt know if this all was possible

There are many ways of detecting whether someone approaches an object and/or tracking them (ultrasonic distance rangers, LIDAR (best long range or best short range), cheap blob tracking cameras like Pixy, thermal imaging cameras, etc.).

It is certainly possible to do what you want, and in fact similar projects have been successful.

The challenges will be to first learn Arduino, learn how to use the sensors and then selecting and refining the person detecting methodology.

I think a scanning LiDAR sensor would be best. With a sensor like that, you can identify where people are AND how close they are. 2 for 1.

Power_Broker: I think a scanning LiDAR sensor would be best. With a sensor like that, you can identify where people are AND how close they are. 2 for 1.

Thanks so much I will begin to look into that!